Logo

1970 60hp Johnson lower end unit leak

tim

" I just got this motor and it

" I just got this motor and it wont hold gear lube. I was just wondering if anyone knew if this motor is supposed to have a seal between the prop and the tailshaft. It looks like it should have one, but their is not a lot of room for it. Thanks "

"Tim.... I have no idea what a

"Tim.... I have no idea what a tailshaft is, but if you're speaking of where the propshaft enters the carrier assembly, there are two (2) seals at that area (OMC part 301599) The first one in faces in, the outer one faces out.

Joe
"

" One thing I found out while

" One thing I found out while fixing my engine of the same year and model is that ther are two different configurations of lower units. There is the C model, and there is the E model. The prop shafts from these two units are different diamiters where they exit the beraing housing. I had bought a used prop shaft, and only after trying to put it on did I realize that there was a difference and it would not seal with my beraing current housing. I then had to also buy the bearing housing that went with that shaft. The only reason I was able to tell a differnce was buy looking at a manual I had bought from this site.
If it appears that the seals are on the bearing housing, and it still does not seal, you may have the wrong housing for your type of prop shaft. I do not know if it would be possible to have the right size seal pressed into same housing or not, for me it was easier just to replace the entire bearing housing.

Anyway, once I put the correct bearing housing on, everything sealed up fine, and I have been having a good time out on the water. I would strongly suggest buying one of the service manuals for this motor. It made all the differnce in the world. "

I need a water thermostat hou

I need a water thermostat houseing for a 1970 115 HP johnson. It is a plastic thing. Also I have a overheating problem. The thermostat is working and the water pump is working. But when I take it to the lake no water comes out the ports and the engen overheats. What am I doing wrong.
James.

Back