Logo

Prprop turns forward : there is no current to the outdrive coil. 76 OMC 235 stringer

50jimmy

I am bamboozled. The prop continues to turn in forward when the control is in neutral and I verified by test light there is no current going to the green "go" wire. The control appears to be working, I had current with the control handle in forward, no current in neutral, and current to the blue wire when the control handle was in reverse. I have not had the boat in the water yet, since its a new purchase and it wasnt running when I got it. I have not figured a way to see if the prop spin in neutral is just heavy oil friction or a malfunction without getting hurt. With the engine not running, i was able to turn the prop in either direction with some resistance in neutral, significant resistance in both forward and reverse. I was thinking I might start it up with some expendable item like an old basketball or a cardboard box jamming the prop to the ground and see what happens (from a "safe" distance") Its on the trailer and hooked to hose by the way.

All speculation or factual advice appreciated.

thank you for your advice. It was indeed just internal friction or such causing the prop to spin. I guess it threw me that it spun rapidly or more so than I expected for neutral. We did block the prop with some expendable soft stuff and started the engine, and the prop did not destroy the padding we used as a stop for the prop. It appears to be healthy. Much to my relief.

Just in case!!!!
Those units are VERY sensitive to water in the oil.Keep an eye on it.
Get a factory manual and read up.The right kind of oil is needed too.
I have heard it takes 70-80- wt.and have heard just 70.
Go to any OMC/Johnson dealer and he will make sure U get the right stuff.J

Back