Logo

Honda BF150 Leaking oil

ReedvilleVABoater, thanks to you for taking the time to post the conclusion of this story. I can't tell you how many times I've found a post that is exactly what I'm experiencing, work commences, but I never learn if that was really the problem. You've saved others that headache! Feels good when you do a job as well as the dealer yet save $2000, huh? You know it's done right (not that a dealer wouldn't - but you pay a lot for that privilege), learned a lot about your engine, and saved cash - that should cover your gas for a LOT of fun.

Can I replace the lower crank seal without opening up the crankcase???
First, you need the Honda repair manual. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-BF135...anuals_Literature&hash=item3cc2bc5c1b&vxp=mtr

Second, I recommend removing the engine from the boat as this will make it much easier to work on.

Third, Order all the seals, gaskets, ect...

Fourth, get to work... took me about 25hrs. I took my time and it was in the middle of the winter.. So, no rush.

I had some pictures, but I must have deleted them.

thx for the info....now i have removed the flywheel , and those sealing bolts or plugs under the block have rusted a bit....can't find the part anywhere on the fiches....did you replace, or just take out and seal????they seem a little suspicious as to the oil leak.
cheers,pat

thx for the info....now i have removed the flywheel , and those sealing bolts or plugs under the block have rusted a bit....can't find the part anywhere on the fiches....did you replace, or just take out and seal????they seem a little suspicious as to the oil leak.
cheers,pat

Yes, I replaced the bolt and sealing washer. #3 & #33. Mine was rusty and that may have been the problem. Also make sure to put some thread sealant on the new plug when installing.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2006/BF150A6 LA /CYLINDER BLOCK/parts.html

0300.png

perfect! I have noticed there are 3 of these, and two others that have allen key heads, they seem to not be listed.....all three should be the same size, but the 2 others are bigger and seem to have rust also.......Did notice oil was when drained, until i took that sealing bolt #33 off fifteen minutes ago.....a little milky oil came out......hmmmmm........has your motor been reliable since the fix??? I feel like mine is a piece of @#@$ right now!!!! Don't have much of a choice to continue...already spent too much before this problem.....How did you get #38 out, the lower crank seal? seems kinda tight in there....I really do appreciate the help!
pat

I don't remember but one of those bolts in the block? and the diagram only shows one as well.. (#3) If you have more and they look questionable. I would remove them, clean, and reseal them.

Yes, my engine hasn't missed a beat.. I have put 35 hours on it since the fix. No problems and no oil leaking.. :)

That seal was a pain to get out. I had to cut the seal in half to get it out. I believe i used side cutters. The new seal goes in much easier.

I don't remember but one of those bolts in the block? and the diagram only shows one as well.. (#3) If you have more and they look questionable. I would remove them, clean, and reseal them.

Yes, my engine hasn't missed a beat.. I have put 35 hours on it since the fix. No problems and no oil leaking.. :)

That seal was a pain to get out. I had to cut the seal in half to get it out. I believe i used side cutters. The new seal goes in much easier.

Thank you sir! I have to admit this is one of the fastest and most accurate responses that I have had for anything!
If I can be of any help , I am an appliance tech, pls feel free to ask!
Hope u don't mind all my questions, talk to u guys soon , I have some work to do.
Cheers,
pat

Back