Logo

1 beep alarm about seconds

Bob & Sue

Contributing Member
Coming in last night I had an alarm beep of about 1-2 seconds went off 2 times about 5 minutes apart checked oil pressure, water temp, drive fluid and bilge everything was ok even used laser temp on maniflods and thermostat housing was 140. Can't find anything on this old of a system 1999 that would give a 1 beep alarm, the only thing that is any different is I had just under 1/4 of a tank of gas I never have run it this low before could this cause this alarm or should I look for something else before going out again? Sea Ray 270SE Sundancer 1999 Mercruiser 5.7L Carb Bravo 2 Drive.

Very difficult to diagnose an intermittent alarm on a carb engine.
If you are equipped with a low cooling water pressure alarm, this may also be it.
Your impeller may have picked up some trash, or it may be getting weak.
When was the last time it was replaced? should be changed every 250 hours or 5 years max.
I would start there, and see if it alarms again.

Rod

Very difficult to diagnose an intermittent alarm on a carb engine.
If you are equipped with a low cooling water pressure alarm, this may also be it.
Your impeller may have picked up some trash, or it may be getting weak.
When was the last time it was replaced? should be changed every 250 hours or 5 years max.
I would start there, and see if it alarms again.
Rod

Impeller was replaced 100hrs ago beginning of june, I have a new kit coming will replace it and sensor next week. Do you know how many ohms that sensor should read?
Thanks

Impeller was replaced 100hrs ago beginning of june, I have a new kit coming will replace it and sensor next week. Do you know how many ohms that sensor should read?
Thanks

Its not an analog sender; its just an on/off switch.
I cant find a spec for the pressure at which it should close, but I seem to recall it is around 5 psig.
gl115 makes a good point about the drive oil monitor switch.
Just try unhooking it and see if the beep goes away.

Rod

Turned out to be the engine wiring harness connector had some corrosion on several pins the mechanic missed it before installing engine a couple weeks ago replacing the coupler cleaned the connector and put some dielectric silicone on it. Ran the boat for a test run problem solved.

Back