Logo

1996 Force 12v charging system

Jimnjulie

Hello all. first time poster here and glad I found this site. I've already learned a few things just skimming through the website. I have a question pertaining to the 12 v charging on the 1996 Merc Force motor. For the past 2 years, my voltmeter reads anywhere from 10 - 12 volts while running. Its never left me stranded but sometimes starts slow, I'm sure because of the mild ( if any) charge. Once in a while I'll charge the battery just to be safe. I know that the meter should run near 14 but it doesn't. I've checked it with my electronic 12 v meter and the gauge is correct. What part(s) would u recommend checking or replacing first? I'd imagine there is an alternator to charge the system but am not sure where it would be, or if it's more of an electrical component to replace. Thank you all in advance for any input.

Is it the starter motor is turning over slowly? If thats the case there are many problems that could be causing this sympton. The stator is the charging system on this motor. It is one of the peices that sit under the fly wheel. you should be reading amps and ohms. minimum output should be 8.0amps @ 1200rpm.maximum 14.
0amps @ 3000rpms. Stator ohms .15-.20.

Thanks for your reply. I replaced the starter a few years ago. It starts fine and powerful when the battery is charged. I charged it last night and today it starts and runs great. The volts read about 12.5 right now,but if I run a tank through it today, it'll drop back down to around 10.5. It'll still start then just fine. Oh yah. Its a new battery too plus I have switched it out with the new one from the camper to compare. I'll check into the amps and ohms when I get a chance. I know nothing about the stator,except a few things I've read on this site. Is it easy to get to or replace? I'm guessing it's spendy as well...thank you again for your input.

Back