Logo

Won't stay running

indybleck

Contributing Member
First time on the forum and glad I found this. Bought a 1988 Four Winns Sundowner 225 this spring and everything seemed to go good. Wanted to take the kids out fishing Friday morning and ran into a problem. The boat started right up and ran great at the dock. As we pulled out and I gave it a little throttle it back fired and stalled. Started up and would not stay running unless I feathered the throttle, then wouldn't run at all. Eventually had to get towed back to the dock. Got it back on the trailer, and when I got home I changed the points and now it is at the orginal problem it will run for a short time then stall. I pulled on the number one plug and it is not soaked with gas. A week before I filled the tank and put some staron treatment in the tank. I think the inline filter is probaly plugged (carb) it looks like it hasn't been changed. I want to be careful because I tried to loosen the line nut and the ears on the nut are starting to round off. My question is do you have to take the thermostat housing off to get to the nut better? And does the fuel pump sight hose fitting come out of the carb. It seems like one of the mercs I owned I could get the fitting out and that gave me more room to work. I'm going to replace the condenser also today. Is there anything else I should be looking for? Thanks a bunch and I will post the end result.

Tom

I'd be watching the ESA switches/lower shift cable operation.
factory service manual recommended to check the adjustments.

make sure the choke is coming off the way it should. check for fuel in the yellowy hose from fuel pump to carb - should not have fuel in that line

Temporarily use a 6 gallon boat gas tank hooked directly to the fuel pump...this will confirm whether it is or isn't a tank or bad gasoline problem...be sure to use a line wrench if you are going to remove the fittings.

Looked at some other replies on the merc forum and went to the boat with a different outlook. I read where one guy had the same problem and he found there was a sag in the vent line. Since everything was fine before I put gas in it I decided to look at that. The vent line seemed fine no sags or kinks, then I took my air compressor and back wash the vent line, if you do this be careful, I held my finger over the other vent hole and opened the gas cap. Then I put the the nozzle and blew out the vent tube only problem is I had a little too much pressure and gas came shooting out the fill hole. After getting cleaned up little bit I left the gas cap open and it fired right up and ran great, so I set the timing and locked everything down. I just need to take it out on the water to make sure but I think that solved the problem. I need to see what the deal is with the vent tube or just leave the gas cap cracked to help it vent when I have a full tank. Thanks for the input. I didn't have this problem til I filled the tank so you know a thousand things go through you mind when the boat doesn't want to run. Thanks again and I will visit here often.

Tom

Back