Logo

Volvo TMD40A MS3B Slip Clutch slipping

karldied

Hi, The slip clutch 850417 (#63 in diagram) is slipping rather than transmitting torque output from the MS3 transmission (on the back of my TMD 40A engines) to the shaft. The part is (per the dealer) obsolete, and its slip function is not critical to me. I'd take it off for repairs except I can't get nut #66 in diagram (27mm socket) off to remove the slip clutch.

1. Any recommendations on getting nut #66 off? I've put the transmission in reverse, but that does not provide enough stop force.

2. Any recommendations on locking the slip clutch internal parts so that it effectively transfers power to the shaft. What if I filled it with 5200?

Thanks, Karl

Attachments

• AAA1A12.PDF
    278.8 KB · Views: 372
Put the trans back together and reinstall it. Fill it with diesel fuel start the engine and shift it from drive to reverse multiple times and knock the glaze off the cone clutch. Refill with 30w motor oil and test it.

Hi, The slip clutch 850417 (#63 in diagram) is slipping rather than transmitting torque output from the MS3 transmission (on the back of my TMD 40A engines) to the shaft. The part is (per the dealer) obsolete, and its slip function is not critical to me. I'd take it off for repairs except I can't get nut #66 in diagram (27mm socket) off to remove the slip clutch.

1. Any recommendations on getting nut #66 off? I've put the transmission in reverse, but that does not provide enough stop force.

2. Any recommendations on locking the slip clutch internal parts so that it effectively transfers power to the shaft. What if I filled it with 5200?

Thanks, Karl

IfIamnotmistaken,itisareversethreadnut.

Back