Logo

1970 Mercury 40hp Not starting but has spark compression and fuel

75monarch

I have a motor that is making me pull my hair out. It has compression, fuel, and spark but refuses to start. I did get it to start 2 times and it sounded good but that's it. I have checked everything but can't find anything wrong. Any ideas.

Pull and toss plugs. Yank it over a few times with the plugs out, then put in new plugs. If it doesn't start then, shoot some ether into the open (WOT ) carb and try again.

Jeff

PS: A little ether won't hurt a thing, but don't keep blasting it in there if it doesn't start.

Will the spark jump a gap of 5/16" or better ------------If you are just laying plugs on the block you may see a spark , but not strong enuff.

Thanks for the help so far its been great. I got the motor running really good was a bad connector. My new issue is I took the boat out Saturday and it was running along good then all of a sudden it just died. Kind of like I just shut the key off. Went to restart it and had absolutly nothing. My first thought was is motor locked up but it was free. Not sure what is wrong

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere or a short to ground on the kill wire. Have you disconnected the tilt switch? They're notorious for this type of behavior.

Jeff

Back