Logo

69 55hp Evinrude NO Spark and ignition issues

lillxirishx57

I have read the postings of others and tried to walk through the advice given but nothing has worked so far. So that said I will give a break down of the problems I am having and what I have done. First off I did buy a manual and have went through all the trouble shooting section. I have no spark what so ever and now my key switch isn't working. I have replaced and jumped the solenoid to check for spark. I have cleaned and re gaped the points(points are new) I have replaced the CDI amplifier, I have replaced the wiring harness to the power head, I have cleaned the cap and checked the reverse coil, check all the grounds, tested with my dmm from point to point on the wires them self for a break in the wiring. I have jumped the key switch using the three wires for the start circuit.
This motor was a problem for the guy I got it from too, he'd lose spark once every couple years but it had always been do to dirty plugs or old wiring, when I got it he'd hooked up one wire backwards and fried the points. I replaced them and it ran then out on the water it died and I have not had any luck figuring it out this time.
Any body have any suggestions on this old troublesome motor???

The stator has had issues with the coating pealing but I have used silicone to fix it which was working before. I do have great compression still my timing key is good(I did check) Its has the push bottom shifter which is working fine still(I first check for something in the system grounding out)

I believe jumping the key switch wont work unless the two wires to the coils are active.you may turn the engine but no spark cause the coils are in the off position.

things I have done and or checked sinse my last post. I did pull the wire to the points from the CDI box and checked to see if my points were firing right. Next I disconected my rectifier and stator a I am not using them to charge. I was hoping for a possible grounding issue. I check my new coil to see if it was getting power to it and it wasn't, infact it is grounding out. I switched it with a coil from another motor and it was doing the same thing. I still have nothing at the key switch unless I ground the saftey switch at the base of the distributer. The key switch works fine then. Now I have 2 of these motors a 68 and a 69 both are doing the same thing except the grounding coil issue my 68 doesn't show anything on my wire test light.

Back