Logo

I'm a newby to Johnson outboard mechanics. HELP! Its a simple spark plug question

daveofthenorth

Hi yal,

I just bought a boat with a '97 Johnson 150 Fast Strike. The spark plugs are BLACK as can be with carbon, I'm thinking that's why it keeps stalling out and running like crap. So I want to change them out but in the owner's manual it says to MAKE SURE you have the appropriate plugs. What are the right plugs to put in this machine.

Thanks,
Davey

I am also new to boating and this forum. I bought a 2000 triton with a 115 johnson 4cyl on it. It sarted, idled and ran fine when testing before purchase. Due to rain i just got it out for the first time after purchase. It will barely idle out of gear with a slight miss and will not idle in gear hardly at all. Runs fine at higher rpms. I took the plugs out and 3 of four of them the gaps are almost completely closed. Everyting I read about this says the engine is gonna be trash at anytime. Is this something that could happen for other reasons other than the piston actualy hitting the plugs. If it is a major issue I have a boat for sale! lol. Thanks in advance for any help.

Yup, when I first started here I got chewed out for jumping on a similar thread. Was probably Racer or Joe Reeves, but over time have learned to treasure these guys. Anyway just start a new thread and someone can help you. Did the plugs look like they got hit by something?

Back