Logo

Nissan 9.8 four stroke pull start

Big Frank

Engine starts and I let it run for a few minutes to warm up during the warm weather part of the season. I engage into gear and it runs and then bogs down and then sometimes totally out....I feel it may be starving for gas but i don't really know for sure....Then I re-start it and it runs and then when i feel it starting to bog i choke it and it revs high and I can keep it running....i may have to do this 1-3 times...I do these antics for about the first 45 min and then it finally starts to run normal and im able to run it for the rest of the day....this issue has only just started to happen in my last two trips. Any suggestions....??? Do I need a new tank and fuel ball line? Or could it be the carb? I appreciate any suggestions....!

Thanks

Big Frank

When you open the throttle under a load, the Fuel supply is not keeping up (pump, hoses main jet) or the Ign is advancing too far.
I'd bet on fuel.
Have you changed anything on the engine lately. Done any work? Sometimes that will cause an older line to crack at a fitting etc.
I'd bet you have a Diaphram fule pump too. How a about the fuel filter? Clean etc?

You always wonder how anything gets into the Carb. But he soitney doo!

Sounds like you are running too lean. Odds are the carb needs to be cleaned. Do you run the carb out, religiously, at the end of each and every day? If not, you need to start doing that, and you need to clean the carb. To do that, it must be removed, completely disassembled, soaked in real carb dip for about 4 hours, rinsed out, and then carefully reassembled and reinstalled, checking adjustments along the way. You can use the Factory service manual, available from any dealer (including me) at a cost of about $28.00, as a guide.

Always a good idea to verify the entire fuel system, starting at the tank. Assuming the vent is open and unobstructed, and the tank pickup and primer/hose are OK, make sure the fuel filter is clear and the fuel pump is delivering.

If these procedures seem daunting, see your dealer.

Back