Logo

Tohatsu MFS25B 2006 manual start - Very hard to pull start

Tomily

Hello everyone

Reference the above engine, it is extremely hard to pull start and at times I need to brace myself and use 2 hands. It can on occasions 'bite' and pull the cord out of my hand viciously. The in gear safety start is all ok and not causing these issues and otherwise the engine runs very well. At times it can almost feel like the pull cord will break and recently the spring in the recoil assembly broke.

Is this normal for this make / model, if not any ideas as to why it's doing this and any suggestions as to how I might sort the problem out?

Many thanks in advance

Mark

Assuming the starter lock on the top of the recoil starter is OK and properly adjusted, and the spring in the recoil has not been incorrectly installed, either the motor has tremendous internal friction, or the decompression weight mechanism on the camshaft is stuck. Most likely, you have way too much oil.

Make sure that the oil is not overfilled, causing a "liquid lock" condition. Remove the recoil starter, and make sure that it operates freely when not on the motor -- that will confirm that the starter spring is OK. If everything looks OK, you may have a stuck decompression mechanism. If that is the case, the camshaft will need to come out, and possibly be replaced.

My 09 Mfs25b is the same way ,the last owner couldn’t pull start it ,he only weighted 120lbs lol .I also am curious as to why this is .

Back