Logo

BF 150 Honda - Alarm after oil change

Franky Boy

Hello everyone...I am currently having an issue with my 150 Honda...after changing the oil, have an alarm that is going off. I ran it for 5 mins and it continues to go off...any thoughts? Thank you

We need more information.

What are the warning lights doing? Any of the on or off? Solid or blinking?

You should have four lights with that motor if it was installed properly.

Oil pressure, overheat, engine check, and battery.

Also, is the alarm a solid beep or does it beep on and off?

Mike

Hello Mike,

Thank your quick response...I will check with my buddy since he was the one on the boat and could see the light. I know as soon as he put in the key there was two beeps then when he would start the motor it would beep on and off...we left it run for about 4 mins then it turn into a solid beep and we turned the motor off.

Hello Mike,

I hope this helps...when you insert the key there are two beeps, then a beep that goes on and off (green light stays on) Any thoughts?

Just so we are on the same page...

Turn the key to on and you get two beeps....that is normal All of your warning lights should light during those two seconds. Make sure all the lights come on for those two seconds. That lets you know that they are working.

Then you say that there is an on and off beeping. Only the oil light is on. You do have three other lights that are not on. Correct?

If so, you may have water in your fuel. There is a water separator on the port side of your engine, just to the left of the low pressure filter. There is a float in that separator connected to a switch. Check the float...if it is not on the bottom of the separator, then it is floating due to water. That would be what is sending the alarm.

Mike

My buddy and I took the water separator and dumped the fuel that was in there...the boat has about 3 gallons left of fuel...so we have decided to pump out the gas and refill the tank with fresh gas...I will let you know how it goes. Thank you Mike.

Hello Mike

Just wanted to give you an update on where we are currently at in regards to the motor... well we actually got all the old gas out of the boat refilled it with new gas - at the same time we checked the water separator on the motor and emptied the gas that was in there. The alarm keeps going off...I called out a Mechanic and he tried to reset the EMC or something like that : ) with no luck...the mechanic informed me to take it to the shop. My question to you is....would the alarm go off if the impeller was messed up? My Buddy belives so....but I doubt it. Any thougths?

I am pretty sure there is no sensor that tells you if your impeller is bad. If the motor is peeing good then your impeller is fine. An issue I had on my BF50 was the trim sensor went bad causing an alarm, unplugged the ground to it and alarm went away. In case you didn't know the trim sensor is installed in case the user trims the motor to high while running the alarm will sound, thus oil will not be supplied to all cylinders at that angle.

There is no trim sensor on the 150 like the 50. Nice idea though.

If you have a red warning light on with the solid alarm, it is an overheat. As Fishing 24/7 said, there is no sensor specifically for the impeller, and it is most likely ok like he said, but if one of your thermostats do not open the block or the head will overheat and one of those sensors would catch it and set the alarm.

Since you just changed the oil, hopefully, you did not use synthetic oil and used the Honda oil filter. The other thing that causes a solid alarm is low or high oil pressure. If you have no green oil light or a flashing oil light, with the solid alarm, you have an oil pressure problem. An aftermarket oil filter could clog the system and create high oil pressure.

Mike

Hello Mike,

The Saga continues...took the boat to the shop and the mechanic informs me that its the 90 Fuse Amp thats bad and that it could be the fuse or the alternator...he saids that the alternator is thowing a higher voltage....after 170.00 (for diagnostic) still the boat has the alarm going off. I ordered the 90 amp fuse....anythoughts?

You do have 4 warning lights...don't you? If the alternator is overcharging or the 90 amp fuse is blown, you will get a battery light and the alert tone will sound a continuous on and off sound.

You should have a spare fuse in the cover of the fuse holder...that is...unless someone else already used it.

Also, it will blow if for some reason you...even momentarily...connected your battery up backwards.
Also, the alternator may be overcharging if your battery is bad.

Other than all of that...I am puzzled.

Mike

Hello Mike,

Just a quick update on how things are going...

After changing the 20 amp fuse - the intermitant (on and off beep) went away. So my buddy and I decided to take the boat to the lake. After leaving the dock 8 mins into our boat ride a solid beep came on - red light (first light) looks like tempeture lit up. We turned the motor off becuase we were afraid to damage the motor. After 5 mins we turned the motor back on and we made it to the dock but eventually the alarm went off again but by this time we had made it back to the dock. Any thoughts?

I went through a intermittent Temp alarm issue that drove me nuts for months. Alarm would sound but engine was not overheating. Finally had an overheat alarm with the engine not even running could track it down to a failed sensor. New sensor and problem disappeared.

Tom

Back