Logo

"94 johnson 8 hp shifting trouble

dimitrimfogal

Regular Contributor
so i just scored this engine and was testing it in the barrel today , she fired right up ,runs real smooth ,so i decided to throw it in gear. i put it into forward and it went right in beautiful, i put it back into nuetral..perfect ... i put it in reverse...no problem...put back to nuetral...no deal stuck in reverse...the shifter moved to nuetral position but stayed in gear...i shut it off put the shifter from nuetral to reverse and back to nuetral started the engine and it was in nuetral...tryed forward went into gear back to nuetral perfect put in reverse back to nuetral stuck in gear again...any ideas or help is greatly appreciated ..thanx in advance...dimitri

ok i checked oil in lower unit...it was really low and milky...must be a leak in a seal somewhere huh? i drained and refilled it..gonna run in the lake tommorrow , ill check oil condition when i get home and repost results...thanx haffiman...dimitri

ok heres the deal ...i took her out with my two older boys todayand had even more shifting trouble...after getting through the five mph zone we dropped the lines in and trolled for maybe ten min when one of the boys hooked up a rainbow ...i tried to put her in neutral and no deal..shifter stuck wouldnt move ..had to shut her off.. still wouldnt shift...i raised it up and wiggled the prop and it came free with little force and went into neutral this kept happening every time i tried to shift...when i got home , i checked my brand new oil in lower unit and was milky again , so is it gonna be new seals and the #13 spring and pin # 13 ? and if so ,,,is it difficult to do? im pretty handy at mechanicing on cars and trucks but dont know a great deal about small outboards...thanx in advance....dimitri

ok thanx haffiman... i think ill start with a shop manual first...just for general purposes, i should have one before i start pulling things apart....dimitri

Back