Logo

7.4L MCM upgrade to CPO 496mag efi 375hp or 502mag mpi 380hp

Nev

I'd firstly like to say hello to everyone as I'm new to the forum.

I'm hoping you guys may be able to assist me with an issue.

I have a 2556 bayliner ciera with a 89 7.4L merc coupled to a Bravo II drive. Whilst my 7.4 is a very tidy, reliable and relatively fresh engine (0hr rebuild approx 250hrs ago) I am looking to upgrade her for either the Certified pre-owned 496 mag EFI 375hp or the 502 mag 380 MPI, both look and read to be very nice engines.

The 496 I am told, is a drop in replacment for my 7.4 with a change to the wiring harness. All my existing analogue gauges and mechanical throttle cabling is compatable with no hidden extras. (please feel free to comment) This does sound inviting to me.

The 502mag 380hp I have been told, will require full digital controls and gauges with no option for my analogue systems (both gauges and throttle cables), This I would like to confirm. As much as I'd like to upgrade my analogue systems......it's an affordability issue. But in saying this, if this is what needs to be done, then so be it. If I could find out what exactly I need and an approx cost I then could make a more informed decision on wheather to go with the 496 or the 502.

So what are your thoughs? as well as the digital issues with the 502, what is your preference, 496 or 502? problems ect.

Thanks for your responses in advance.

Nev

Welcome aboard !

All is well with your boat ?

It runs good and you enjoy it ?

Why go thru this. Want a different setup why not sell what you got and buy what you want ?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks for the welcome,

Yeah, Boats great, very happy, great for off shore fishing as well a good family boat. I owned a bigger outfit before, but this now suits down to the ground. Wifey feels safe with the full locable sedan cabin for the kids on over nighters, I like the option of being able to carryout operations from either the fly deck or the enclosed cabin (great for when it blows up going through the rough) Its trailerable, no more expensive moring fees, antifouling and time consuming as with my ex 37'ter. I can take the guys out deep for some great fishing. Yeah, She's in good condition, very well looked after and I plan on holding on to it. (I believe if you look after your boat, it'll look after you)

Issue is, I travel up to and sometimes over 80klm to the reef, one way, boat is heavily weighted, 4/5 blokes, 250 ltr on the back deck filled with ice, and with some luck, filled with fish on the way home as well. other eskies stowed up the bow for food and drinks and all the other crap that you accumulate on these sort of trips. The 7.4 most times manages this ok, but it's at its limits. The other reason is, ok, the guts of the engine has been rebuilt, but I've also replaced since then starter, alternator, slave solinoid, trim tilt ect ect.... all to be expected for an outfit of 20 years old. It's time to give the old girl a bit of attention.

Looks as though you've been around for a while, whats your opinion on the engines.....not my boat ;)

Thanks Alen

Nev

In your case maybe a diesel. Alot of good options out there.

Just doesn't make sense to " ME " to go with another gas motor.

I have to say this is the first time i recommended one.

Shaping up to be real busy day today for me, sons high school football team booster club, " my wife is the president " Is having a bbq today after a scrimmage.

If you bear with me i will be talking with a few friends who know diesels what exact motor to recommended to you.

Maybe someone else will post what they think.

I'll post back here latter today.

I won't forget.

Thanks Alen, I have considered diesels, my base trade is a diesel fitter with marine experience. I love the merc. I think the petrol engine suits the boat very nicely and I don't mind paying a little extra along the way for a little more hp's if you know what I mean. I've rebuilt a few engines in my time and have even considered stroking my 7.4. Now with my current work load, time is certainly not on my side. Bare with me on this, call it a personnel preference to stay with petrol (I've seen the good and bad with the both).

You've certainly got your work cut out for you today by the sounds of things. The BBQ at the end sounds good.... always is. Have 1 or 2 for me please mate, (beers). I'm not up with 'booster club' whats that all about? I take it, it's a club to support the team??

Thanks again for your reply, all's good!

No worries, I'll talk to you more when you get time.

Nev

Last edited:
Back