Logo

1980 Chris Craft 251 Catalina Cruiser - Any Ideas on Gas Tank Removal?

OldSpiceOxnard

Hello,

First, I read through the forum and did not find any discussion on exactly this topic. I have a 251 Chris Craft cabin cruiser, the gas tank is origional and my tank is dirty or has contamination inside. If I drain the tank, clean the carb and fuel lines, it runs like a champ until I go into the ocean and stir things up. I am at the point of removing the tank. I have spent hours working on this effort. Its 75 gallons, aluminum, and about 72" wide, sits below deck parallel to the transom. Its in there with very little room to move. I finally busted it loose and now I'm having trouble getting it out. Did Chris Craft build boats around tanks back then?

Its empty but noone will torch it into pieces. Its too sturdy to crush. My feeling is I need to bring my skill saw and cut a nice straight lined rectangle out of my deck and just get it done. Any suggestions? Thats the last ditch effort. I will do that and then take fiberglass lessions I guess unless anyone else can shed some insight on my problem.

Thank you very much for reading and helping if at all possible. Two pics attached for you to view.

Attachments

• FuelSystem4.jpg
    FuelSystem4.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 528
  • FuelSystem3.jpg
    FuelSystem3.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 274
Hi, I was faced with similar issue, I had no choice but to cut deck and lift out 2 150gal tanks. What you might want to have done, is have an access hole cut, looks like you have good access. Clean the tank, steam or pressure it, and then have it welded back. A certified tank place can weld that no problem. Also you can shorten your fuel pickup so not to pull from the bottom and run bigger fuel filters. Its not the best way but will keep you running til the end of season.

Thank you. Yes, that seems to be the best or only option. I had planned to try and refurbish the old tank if at all possible. Thanks again for the input.

I also like the idea about the access hole. I am thinking of maybe trying to make the hole I cut out a permanent hatch type replacement piece. Wondering if I should try to modify the piece of fiberglass I cut out or just trash that and craft a new hatch with new material?

Are you able to get access to the top of the fuel tank where the fuel pickups are? Have a tank shop or welder look at the tank first. They can tell you where the best place to have the tank opened up to get access. They have the tools to cut it and make it look nice. I saw somewhere where the access hole in the tank was removable with gaskets and bolts, allowed future cleanings. I would have then build that as they know whats best.

Thanks for the info. I am actually to the point where I have decided to cut an access hole in the deck and then make a hatch so I can easily remove it and install the tank once fixed. In addition, the tank is mounted below, parallel to the transom with the gas intake/hose to the tank right in the center on top of the transom. Right inside the bulkhead there is a small inspection plate. I am also going to cut out a sizable square and create another larger access area for future inspection. I was thinking that for this hole, I would have a nice teak cover made and have "Chris Craft" carved in it like following the Chris Craft logo/style. Thoughts?

Now for the floor, I am considering cutting an access hole/hatch on one side bordering the transom bulkhead and either the starbord or port bulkhead in the deck. Large enough to be able to pick it up from one side and slide it out of the hole.

Thoughts? Fiberglassing the floor to allow it to be removable for future issues should they come up.

Let me know what ya think.

Attachments

• FuelSystem4.jpg
    FuelSystem4.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 198
I had the similar problem with the same boat,, I removed the tank and clean it out. I removed motor and transmission then was able to remove the tank.

DON'T CHOP UP THE DECK!

I have a 1980 and am working on the tank. No way to remove but I have moved it forward far enough to get down behind to work on the steering.
If mine was dirty I would put a clean out on it here with the top exposed. BE CAREFUL IT MIGHT STILL CONTAIN EXPLOSIVE FUMES! I replaced sender gasket, checked sender and check valve operation.
I am replacing the tank support 2x2 with white oak painted with copper green, replacing rudder packings, worn steering linkage, lubing steering cable, making 2 piece replacement SS straps and SS fasteners.

Thats my tank project. :)

Last edited:
Still messing with this tank deal. Finally got it out. I have a mechanic who had no issues cutting it in half to remove it. I was going to make two tanks out of the one cut up but got tired of dealing with machine shops. I am going to buy two after market ones I guess, 35 gallons each, 5 gallons less than the old tank but thats all I can find that might fit. I am making a cardboard tank to check and confirm it will fit before I buy them. Any additional ideas or comments are welcome.

Can't help you much with tank removal, my '81 251 Catalina's tank is doing just fine. One of the things I did do when she was brand new from the factory was put two large external fuel filters on the line and I replace both filters every year. BUT... I'm really impressed with how dry your bilge looks! I have always had a "wet" bilge since day one.

I cut the old tank out and I'm going to have two tanks made that can fit below the deck and mount where the old tank resided. I will also take your idea and increase the fuel filters. The negative is there are really no after market tanks ideal for the area I have to install the tank so it looks like I'm forking out the cash for a special design x two.

Back