Logo

Volvo Penta 3.0 GS running rough at idle

Stratos89

When I try to accelerate from an idle, the engine will stall out. It acts like it is starving for fuel. I have tried bumping the idle up, but it doesn't seem to help. If i hold my had over the top of the carb as I move the throttle up it does run better. I also adjusted the accelerator pump to shoot more gas in as I throttle up and it did smooth it out some, but the engine just isn't running correctly as it transitions from idle to cruising speed. Once I get it throttled up it runs fine. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this?

Thanks
Dave

Make sure you check all the plug leads particularly if you have changed plugs and accidentally damaged the leads - this can easily happen if they are old carbon type. Also check dist cap is ok, not cracked and if you have points that they are not corroded. You probably have electronic ignition with this engine? If you eliminate all that then go back to the fuel side. Mike

Mike, thank you for the quick response. Yes, it has eletronic ignition. I will replace the plugs, cap and rotor this weekend. once the new parts are installed, if i have the same problem where do I go from there? Is there any type of carb adjustment for low speed? Or, is a carb rebuild in order? I am just trying to be proactive as it is a two hour drive to get to the boat.

Thanks
Dave

Dave,

It depends on the type of carb - if its a Rochester or similar it will have a low speed jet but the critical issue is that if the engine was fine and now isn't it is not likely to be anything to do with the idle adjustment. Did the change in engine behaviour coincide with anything i.e. new fuel, overheat, or something else?

Mike

Mike,

It has a 2BBL Holley carb on it. I was told the engine had to be lifted to replace something in the outdrive. My apologies for the lack of detail but i am helping a friend and he was not specific. There are some adjusting screws on each side of the float bowl. Does this help?

Dave

Dave I had this problem for a long time..Also a Holley..had to rebuild Carb after I tried everything else...It is simple really...never ever put Car Gas with Ethonal in your boat...ran great after rebuild.
Good Luck. Paul

Back