Logo

Dip stick reads different

Jfreeman1412

Regular Contributor
Hey Guys we just changed the oil on one of these 318's and when we check the oil sometimes it says add and sometimes it says its perfect. The Boats in the water and we ran for a good amount of time this morning. It was doing this before and after we ran it. What could this be?

I find the best time to check the oil is when it is dead cold, this way you know all of the oil has drained down into the pan. You will get a different reading when you check it hot cause there is still some oil in the top end. When I do an oil change using an automatic extractor, I replace what came out (usually 4-4 1/2 Qts.)

greasemonkey, my LM318 manual states 6qts and it is not a step pan, are you saying if I pull out 5 qts with the extractor for an oil change there's still 2 qts in there?

I get 6 quarts out of mine with a 15 degree angle mounting. I use a 1/4 inch steel brake tube with a bend in it to suck out, manipulating the tube to get out all I can. It takes 6 quarts of new oil per motor to reach "F" on the stick every time.

Jeff

I wish I could use the drain plug, I can see it, it's on the port side of the pan towards the rear. Has anyone hooked up some kind of fitting that you can hook up a hose, then open the fitting to syphon out the oil ???????????

Dipstick extraction device, either electric or manual. Everyone uses one and they work great. Larger boats with diesels sometimes have a built in oil change system, but I can't think of a reason to install anything more complicated on a gas engine.

*7qts with 7degree install flat bottom pan Alum.

*add another 1 quart if you change the filter thats 8 quarts...from the book

gulp gulp gulp!!

looks like that trojan is a vdrive? should have a drain plug in the front(where the belts are!) if it does you can make little hydraulic line with a brass cap like mercruisers do(it goes to the bottom of the pan though, use a outboard primer bulb with a 5/16 line to get that sludge in the back(low spots)by hand

Its the prefered method when I do yamaha four strokes,I heat it up,couple pumps with the bulb ,it drains itself...I walk away........... go eat lunch or something:cool:

@ chris.........my dipstick tube stops at the top of the pan theres not a tube that extends down to get to the bottom(only the dipstick) ......Sound like half an oil change for you trojan ...post a pic of those ole dogs!!

Back