Logo

1961 Ford Interceptor Firing Order

dgudenau

Hello, I was wondering what the firing order of a 1961 ford interceptor engine is. Also, on the disributor cap, where does the number 1 plug/wire go? thanks

What engine is it? I believe the firing order is dependent on whether you have a right hand or left hand rotation engine... I am pretty sure I have the list of firing orders at home, let me know what the engine is and rotation and I will post the info.

Agreed...... More info is needed!

............. Also, on the disributor cap, where does the number 1 plug/wire go?
This will have been decided by the last person who indexed the distributor.
While it doesn't actually matter (as long as the #1 is phased correctly.... and all subsequent cylinders follow this), most will point the rotor towards the physical location of #1 cylinder when indexed for #1 TDC C/S.

This simply becomes a means of approximating where the crankshaft would be, when viewing the rotor.
It's not mandatory.... but it makes sense to set one up this way.

If not..... and yet wired correctly for the firing order, your engine won't know the difference!

If you are still having trouble with this, here's a suggestion:
Pull the valve covers, identify the intake valve rocker arms (or exhaust.... doesn't really matter), begin with #1 cylinder, crank the engine over very slowly as you watch the intake valves in their progression of operation.
Jot this down on paper as per which cylinder's valves operated in this succession.

This will be your firing order.

The information on the front of the engine is: RH Interceptor, No:C22R06258. I reckon that the engine is a right hand rotation from the "RH." The water pump outlet is coming out on the left side of the engine (view from front of the engine facing the belt). I found a book with the right hand engine firing order which is 1-2-7-3-6-8-4-5. My real question now is where is the number one plug located on the engine block?

Unless Interceptor did something out of the ordinary, #1 cylinder is always the forward most cylinder.... meaning that the front of the engine (i.e., Circulating Pump end) is oposite the flywheel end.
If you look down upon the engine, you'll see that one cylinder head is further forward than the other to the tune of the thickness of one connecting rod large end (or 1/2 the width of one connecting rod crankshaft journal).
This forward-most cylinder will be #1.
I don't know this engine.... so this could be Port side, or it could be Stbd side.

Ricardo is wrong on this one. All Ford V8 engines, at least through the 80's, are numbered with number 1 at the right front as seen from the top and is if in a vehicle. In a vehicle it would be at the front on the passenger side. The following numbers are 2,3,and 4 on the right side from front to back and on the left 5 thru 8. All v8 fords from 1932 through the end of the y-block series had 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2 as a firing order. When the "Big Block" 332 ci engine came out ford changed to 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. This is also true of the 221 through 302 series of engines. Reverse rotation engines also start the firing order with number 1 but go backwards through the order, hence, 1-2-7-3-6-8-4-5 for the y-block Interceptor engines.

Back