Logo

2005 F115 shuts down when throttles brought to idle and hard to start thereafter.

cdt21

Hi all, this is my first post.
I have 2005 twin F115's and I am having problems with my starboard engine shutting off (not all the time but at random times) when I throttle back after running at a high rpm. It will then not start unless I start it revved up in neutral. Then if I pull it back in gear, it will shut off again. After a couple times of pulling it back really quickly to engage it into gear, I can manage to keep it started. The engine is having no problem with running rough whatsoever. I have changed all filters, had the injectors cleaned and the compression checks were good. Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

get a fuel pressure gauge and get on your high pressure fuel rail, should run around 40psi at all times, even when the engine stops the pressure will remain. So if you do not have that 40psi you have a fuel issue like a clogged filer. you have 5 filters...water filter in boat, first bowl before low pressure pump, inline filter between pump and VST (vapor seperator tank), a filter in the VST, and then filters on each injector.

Also, I just had a lot of problems with the same set of engines, I swapped my ECU and the problem went away, probably a bad connection.

Good luck.

I suggest you check engine throttle body espeacialy throttle plate. Sometime its dirty. Engine has no air cleaner. Just clean up with clean rag and gasoline. Be carefull with Throttle Position Sensor.

I had a similiar problem with my boat not long ago. Checked all filters and everything elsio I could think of... Found a kink in fuel line near the tank.

Back