Logo

1994 Ocean Pro 200 surging problem

T

Todd vonNieda

" I've got a 94 Ocean Pro

" I've got a 94 Ocean Pro 200 with a 98 head after a rebuild a few years back. I'm having a problem with surging at WOT. I can normally get 5200 RPM's, but now I get a sluggish start taking off and can get to about 4500 RPM's and then it intermittently rapidly bounces up to 5200. I've replaced the fuel filter and fuel/water separator. It only does this while in gear. In neutral I can get it up over 6000 RPM's without any problems.

I'm wondering if this is a fuel/carb problem or electrical. If electrical, where do I start? "

"Todd.... A word of caution, n

"Todd.... A word of caution, never NEVER allow your engine to obtain high rpms when in neutral. You could very easily encounter a runaway engine, and should that happen (and it does), by the time you gathered your thoughts, that engine would blow a couple conecting rods right through the side of your engine!

The rapid, I assume instantanous increase of rpm from 4500 to 5400, rather than a gradual up and down type surge, spells out ignition. The fact that you're encountering a difference of 900 rpm would indicate that one cylinder is dropping out (9x6=54).

Carburetors, if fouled, do not come and go, they stay that way. And if the problem was fuel related (air leak, fuel restriction), that always (has been my experience anyway) results in a gradual decrease and increase of rpms. You could test the fuel theory easily by simply pumping the fuel primer bulb, acting as a manual fuel pump.

Ignition on the other hand, can be quite intermitent. I suggest that you start at the beginning to trouble shoot the problem as follows.

(General Engine Checks)

First, check the compression. It should be approx 100+ psi and even on all cylinders. On some V/6 looper engines, the starter bendix will kick out if all of the spark plugs are removed. If this takes place, leave the spark plugs in, excepting the cylinder you're checking of course.

NOTE... If checking the compression with the spark plugs in, make sure that the ignition key is in the "OFF" position. You do not want that engine to start while you're doing that test.

Next, with the s/plugs removed, check the spark. It should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue flame on all cylinders. (The s/plugs must be removed in order to obtain the highest rpm available).

Check the continuity of the ignition coils. Remove the primary orange wire from whatever it's connected to. It may be connected to a powerpack screw type terminal, a rubber plug connector, or it may simply plug onto a small boss terminal of the coil itself.

Connect the black lead of a ohm meter to the spark plug boot terminal, then with the red ohm meter lead, touch the ground of the coil or the powerhead itself if the coil is still installed.

Then touch (still with the red lead) the orange wire if it's attached to the coil, or if it's not attached, touch the primary stud of the coil. You should get a reading on both touches (contacts). If not, check the spring terminal inside the rubber boots of the spark plug wire. Poor or no continuity of a coil is one reason for s/plug fouling.

When removing the spark plugs, make a note of which s/plug came from what cylinder. They should all look alike, but if not, that difference should lead a mechanic in a certain direction.

If the engine has been sitting for any length of time (a few months or more), there's a very good possibility that the carburetor(s) are somewhat fouled/clogged/gummed. If so, they'll require removing, cleaning, and rebuilding. (I seriously doubt that this is your problem).

Remove the carburetor face plate. Observe the carburetor(s) while you pump the fuel primer bulb. If fuel flows out of the carburetor(s), they will require removing, cleaning, and rebuilding. (You might want to check this on general principles). Let us know what you find.

Joe
"

" Joe,

Thanks for the advic

" Joe,

Thanks for the advice. I found through a process of elimination that two plugs on the same side are not getting any spark. I removed one of the coil or powerpacks (the black thing that the opposite end of the plug wire attaches to) and moved it to a different cylinder to see if the part was bad, but it still provided spark to the plug. It looks like to me that the source of the problem is in the black box just above the carbs where the wires feeding the coil or powerpack originate.

Is there any way of testing that, or do I just replace it? "

" Todd.... Unfortunately I ret

" Todd.... Unfortunately I retired before that system came into being and I haven't kept up with it. However, it seems that you are on the right track with your line of thought. I wish you luck. "

" Joe,

I would still get a

" Joe,

I would still get a spark if I dropped a cylinder or blew the rings right? Is it necessary that I still need to do a compression check, or would you recommend just following the electrical path? "

"Todd.... I always check the c

"Todd.... I always check the compression first. If there is a poor reading on one or more cylinders, I'd want to know the cause of that before going any farther.

Joe
"

" Joe,

Thanks for all of yo

" Joe,

Thanks for all of your help so far, I really appreciate your insight.

One last question so I understand more clearly. Is there a relationship between no spark from the coil on a particular cylinder and compression on that cylinder? This situation happened literally overnight. One day it's running perfect, the next day no fire to the plug. I'm no mechanic, but I'm still missing the link. Is the compression check simply a precautionary measure, or is it a symptom or possible cause of the lack of spark at the coil?

....Todd "

"Todd... There is no relations

"Todd... There is no relationship between poor compression and perfect or poor or no spark. It is simply a matter of not overlooking any aspect of the engines operating system.

Example.... Should you find that number 5 cylinder has a compression reading that is 40 psi and all the others have 110 psi, you know that you've either got a blown head gasket or serious internal problems.

You also know that a coil on number 5 cylinder (or any other cylinder) is faulty resulting in no spark. Logic states that there's no sense in replacing that coil and running the engine until the compression problem is taken care of.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" Joe,

Thanks for all of yo

" Joe,

Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it. Tomorrow it's off to the parts store.

Have a Happy 4th!

....Todd "

" Joe,

I replaced the power

" Joe,

I replaced the powerpack and didn't have any change at all. My next guess would be the timer base. Any suggestions other than replacing all of the electrical components? Compression was fine and pretty even on all cylinders.

......Todd "

" todd, I know this sounds stu

" todd, I know this sounds stupid, but your timer base will fire 2 plugs. there is 3 magnets on the base, 2 plugs per mag. i had this problem on a 150. bad jetting was the cause, as engines wear, there fuel requirements will change, and not all omc jets even though stamped with the same # will mike out the same size, I would recommend a high speed shut down to take a plug reading, run your motor on the trailer[in gear] at wot, when your motor drops on a surge, turn off the key and look at your plug color, you may also think about your crankcase seal "

Back