Logo

8 HP Blown Head Gasket - How to Re-time after Repair ?

PABOATER1949

My 8 HP Nissan (2010) with only about 8 to 10 hours on it blew the head gasket already. Upon removing the head I found the head bolts to torqued VERY unevenly. Some loose some very tight. Pretty poor workmanship! The gasket gave way on the top cylinder where the bolts were loosest.

Everything is now cleaned up and ready to go back together except for one thing. Stupidly, I forgot to mark the positions of the flywheel and camshaft before removing the toothed belt. I have no clue how to set the ignition timing and camshaft.

Can someone please help me get the engine back in time?

The model is NSF8 A3 - Manual Start, Manual Tilt, Short Shaft

Thanks!

First, you are in warranty, so why are you even turning a wrench on this?

Next, you need a copy of the Factory service manual. There is no need for you to mark the pulleys, as they already have Factory markings on them. Full info is in the manual, Part# 003N210561, $27.58, which is available from any dealer, including me,

Thanks Paul ..
There are no Nissan dealers for many miles. All the time it takes me to drive, gas, waiting for repair and driving a second time makes it impractical for such a simple repair.
I was hoping someone knew and would share the torque spec for the head so I could at least get it back together.

Do you have a business address to order a manual from?

Thank you, I'll call soon for the manual purchase.

Meantime, Tohatsu North America was kind enough to give me the following specs:

The six large head bolts @ 22 ft. lbs., and the 3 smaller side bolts @ 7 ft. lbs.

The re-timing was easy once I really looked at it.

There are marks on both the crank pulley and the camshaft pulley. Using the #1 mark to the indexer on the camshaft pulley and perfectly aligning the dots on the crankshaft pulley to TDC the timing has been aligned.

Carefully put on the toothed belt, roll over a revolution or two by hand and recheck the marks, make sure they are still in alignment and voila! The whole thing is magically timed!

Since this is a "waste spark" system ... meaning both plugs fire on every up stroke (one cylinder on compression stroke and the other on exhaust) there is no worry about the ignition timing. Pretty simple system!

My engine started and ran perfectly the first time.

Thanks again Paul!

Back