MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Get instant online access to repair manuals for your Chrysler / Force outboard. Online Manuals
ChryslerForce
Order printed Chrysler / Force service manuals — shipped to your door! Printed Manuals
ChryslerForce
Use engine diagrams to find & order parts for your Chrysler / Force engine. Engine Diagrams
ChryslerForce

Default 70hp charging system

i have a 1996 70hp force ,,i believe it have the thunderbolt ignition system on it ,unfortunatly i only have 1 volt comeing out of one of the yellow charge wires but 6 volts riseig to 12 on the other ,,from the rectifier/regulator i have onlt about 1 volt comeing from the red charging wire but 6 riseing to 12 when reved from the grey wire which i beleive is for a rev counter ,,could i safly connect the gray to my battery to use this for charging ???or .......i have a older ignition system from a crysler ,,could i use the stator from that ,,or the stator and trigger ,,,,,,or would this not work with my controll box ,,,any help would be very king ,,thanks

Default Re: 70hp charging system

Older stuff probably won't work on new motor.
    outboardignition.com has test procedures for all outboards.Go there do the tests before you buy any parts or change anything.
    Get back with the results.
    boats . net worst place to buy parts.
    Get towing insurance.Great investment.
    88 Bayliner with twin 85's

the ignition side is fine ,,its just not charging

Test the rectifier first. A shorted diode can be killing the stator output.
    Bill H PTC USN Ret
    A manual is a cheap investment.

there should be a beaker or fuse. Check those and if the check out proceed. you should get 1.0 amps @ 1000 rpms output min and 9.0 @5000rpm max . stator ohms should be .6-1.1. this shouldnt be a thunderbolt because it was put on 90 hp and up. Is the Tach working on this motor? It counts the ac voltage pulses before its rectified to dc volts. so therfore not working properly. Battery couldnt be totally dead and not wanting to take a charge since your using it to start and run motor right? dont disconnect battery leads while motor running this could cause the rectifier to fail. Also dont change the poles either. this could cause the same dammage.Check all connections in the charging system and use di eletric grease to protect this makes a differance. Do this and get back with results.

dont move wires around and use the parts defined by engine make model and year by the way. There is a reason they made this that way from the factory. Just food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by nickhaulotte View Post
    there should be a beaker or fuse. Check those and if the check out proceed. you should get 1.0 amps @ 1000 rpms output min and 9.0 @5000rpm max . stator ohms should be .6-1.1. this shouldnt be a thunderbolt because it was put on 90 hp and up. Is the Tach working on this motor? It counts the ac voltage pulses before its rectified to dc volts. so therfore not working properly. Battery couldnt be totally dead and not wanting to take a charge since your using it to start and run motor right? dont disconnect battery leads while motor running this could cause the rectifier to fail. Also dont change the poles either. this could cause the same dammage.Check all connections in the charging system and use di eletric grease to protect this makes a differance. Do this and get back with results.
    the rev counter seems to come from the rectifier ,,i dont have a tacko but it measures 6 volts on tick over and 13 when reved ,,the battery is fine ,i stick the volt meter on the yellow wires befor the go into the rectifier and one reads 1 volt and the other 6 volts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	103_1478.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	2940this is the stator on my engine (befor the rebuild)

When did you rebuild? Is it after rebuild you have been having problems? Check to see if you put the stator back on right. They can be put on wrong.

815279T 4 VOLTAGE REGULATOR
    SERIAL 0E065372-0Z999999

boats.net has this part.$140.

Look around maybe e-bay.
    boats . net worst place to buy parts.
    Get towing insurance.Great investment.
    88 Bayliner with twin 85's