Logo

MSD Ignition on big blocks

mountainman

Has anyone had the opportunity to try the MSD products on big block powered heavy (36000 lb) yachts ? I was just wondering how the multi-spark might help out because of the low rpms these boats operate at most of the time --- and do you think changing from distributor to a crank trigger is a better way to control the ignition ?

Any multi spark system will be an improvement over a standard ignition. MSD's stuff if fine but somewhat pricey.

Using a crank trigger isn't cost effective in most heavy boats.

how the multi-spark might help out because of the low rpms these boats operate at most of the time --

Help out exactly what? Here is my take on the aftermarket systems. First off, I have not tried the MSD in the boat, but I do have a Jacobs omnipac on each motor, and used them on previous motors. On a healthy motor, under nominal conditions, there is not much to see different on "performance". Certainly not any mileage gains. If you have a fouling engine, due to oil consumption, etc. these systems have high value in preventing plug misfiring. If you push rpms past 6 or 7 grand (racing) then you will benefit from the ability to fire the coil quickly with high power. There may be some benefit with low voltage starting (very cold, or low battery). The Jacobs eliminate the need for a separate ign coil, so that is kinda cool. Beyond that, eh..

ok -- well --- my experience with big blocks is only with high compression and musclecars and i know that afier runn'in the gut a few times ya needed to head out of town to blow the cobs out of them because they were so loaded up ; but i don't know how these low compression big inch motors deal with low rpm cruising and if they are using open or closed chamber heads ; but i do know that multispark ignitions came on the scene in the 70s to help with this loading up problem so i guess i'm looking at what combos work the best - coil on plug / crank trigger / full on computer management / etc

Back