Logo

2001 Volvo 4 cyl engine with fresh water system - changed impeller, no water out prop exhaust

vetteguy7

I had to replace the rubber impeller since I forgot to turn the garden hose on when I started the engine to check the boat out for this summer. Most of the impeller blades were broken off and gone. I found half of one in the thermostat housing and 2 in the boat bottome under the engine. The engine does NOT overheat with the new impeller, but I do not get any water exhaust coming out of the center of the prop. I ran the engine for over 20 mins (prop engaged) watching the temp gauge go up to 180 and then back down to 160 several times. Do I need to worry about the exhaust situation? Where is the water going? Where should I look next for the broken rubber impeller blades?

Profile?? You may be close to someone who can help.
Need serial/model.To make sure were working on the right one.
Follow the hoses from the pump to the exhaust or heat exchanger.????? Not sure what I'm working on.

"Fresh water system" ?
Meaning a heat exchanger with anti-freeze in the engine, and a Sea Water pump to supply cold water to the Heat exchanger, which exits at the back of the Riser and also cools the exhaust pipe?

Or do you have a Sea Water pump supplying Coolant water right out of the lake.

One of the really great sins is to put the muffs on and turn the garden hose on full blast.
Or run the hose with the outdrive in the full up of horizontal position.

If you drove parts of the old impeller up into the water jacket you are gonna have to take some stuff off the engine till you get it all out of there.

Post a photo of your engine. It would help us out a lot to see what you see!

Hey, thx very much for replying! This is a Volvo Penta stern drive with a raw fresh water system (lake water, no exchanger or antifreeze). I'll take a few pics and post them. The stern drive was in the down position and I turn the garden hose on no more than medium pressure/ volume. The engine is 3.0L- SX.

Your water pump is in the 'foot' and you are "Raw" water cooled.
Your first guess is correct.
You have some Impeller parts up in your engine or Manifold.
Start by loosening the hoses to see if you can isolate the blockage.
If it's in that Water manifold, you'll just have to take that off and use some kind of Hi pressure device to blast it out of there.

thudpucker, on a 2001 Volvo Penta, the water pump is not in the 'foot'...it is mounted on the front of the engine, directly to the crankshaft.

Hi Jerry,
Thx for the reply to my posting. The engine is Volvo-Penta (may have been manufactured by GM according to the manual). It's a 4 cyl, 3.0L (carbureted), GSF, with a Volvo Penta stern drive. The engine Serial # is: 4012050344. There was another number directly below this one on the metal plate: 3869106. The stern drive had these #'s: Product #: 3868895; Ratio: 1.97; Type: SX-M.

Profile?? You may be close to someone who can help.
Need serial/model.To make sure were working on the right one.
Follow the hoses from the pump to the exhaust or heat exchanger.????? Not sure what I'm working on.

Hi Jerry, <BR>Thx for the reply to my posting. The engine is Volvo-Penta (may have been manufactured by GM according to the manual). It's a 4 cyl, 3.0L (carbureted), GSF, with a Volvo Penta stern drive. The engine Serial # is: 4012050344. There was another number directly below this one on the metal plate: 3869106. The stern drive had these #'s: Product #: 3868895; Ratio: 1.97; Type: SX-M. <BR><BR><BR>
Profile?? You may be close to someone who can help.<BR>Need serial/model.To make sure were working on the right one.<BR>Follow the hoses from the pump to the exhaust or heat exchanger.????? Not sure what I'm working on.

Yes, you're right. That's where I found it. Since it's not overheating after I replaced the impeller, how is the water exhausting if it's not coming out thru the prop?

Back