Logo

Fluidl level on velvet drive

lymangeorge

Do you screw dipstick in and check level or put dipstick in till threads on dipstick plug touchs the top of trans.? This is a Velvet Drive 1to1 :confused:

Thanks for the reply.That is how I have been checking it just finnished a week tour from Lorain to Sandusky to Middle Bass Island then back to Lorain.

This was all possable with the help from reading this web site. I will post pictures when I figure out how to.

We like pictures. Above the reply window is an "image" icon. Click on it and it will allow you to browse your computer for the picture you want to attach.

check it while its hot, best to have two people do this, have someone shut it down then immediately pull dipstick out and check the level, adjust to the right level and recheck like this. when the unit is cold check the level again, it will be higher, note or mark the dipstick where the fluid is cold so you can check it like this without doing the forementioned method.

One last thing: After you establish that the trns is full, check the level when fully cold--it should be way above the "F" mark. Use THIS as your indicator from now on--easier to do it that way.

Jeff

Just an FYI; the manual specifically states that there should not be any noticeable drain back from the lines and cooler. If there is an increase of the level in the trans after a few hours, the plumbing should be repositioned to prevent drain back.

The manual may say that, but I can assure you there is always drain back! My cold full level is 3/4 " above the hot full level.

Jeff

Really depends on the boat manufacturer's practices. By the way, no drain back also helps prevent oil airation. These are supposed to be purged of air when put into service and after an oil change. If after running for a while you pull the dip stick and see bubbles on it, you're airating your oil; not good.

Manual says to remove oil cooling return line when changing transmission fluid. Can't get mine off. Can I assume that pumping fluid out when cold will get most fluid out of trans without removing return line?ThanksJim1987 Chrysler 318s, velvet drive

I agree pumping it out is fine. I think the reason for removing the line is because in a proper installation you'd have no drain back so there'd still be old fluid in the lines and cooler. I wouldn't get too anal about it.

Back