Logo

Getting hot

wormguts

I HAVE A 1975 MONTGOMERY WARD 10HP.DOES not pump much water out put new impeller in did not help.maybe in backwards so i tried the other way same results.water tube seems clear,but still gets hot.any idea? PLEASE HELP. THANK YOU.

the old impeller looked good no dry rot or pieces missing,housing looked good also.was told i needed a new impeller but it didnt work. buy the way nice top!!! i also have a 1956 ward motor and that shoots water 3 ft. behide the motor.the 1975 motor the water is not coming out very good and gets really hot.

Last edited:
i have the same problem with a 76 55hp chrysler --utube-- mine pumps great as long as your not moving looks like i won't be going anywhere fast your problem could be up top as well as mine im taken it out tomorrow an study it some more befor i go any farther they say its the head gaskit on these motors but im not pulling parts just yet

often if you get exhaust leaking into the water chanels then the back pressue stops the water flow ..take off the exhaust side chamber panel and check for holes in the stainless plate or bad fitting seals and corrosion.

Try taking the thermostat out and testing it.Drop it in boiling water.Should make the spring open the rubber plug.
While it's out try to run it and see if it pumps water out the thermo housing.
Try cleaning out the exhaust ports.Maybe bugs have gotten in and block the exit.Make sure the pickup is clear.
Profile??You might be close to someone who can help.J

took cover off left side facing the back of the motor.there was a little junk maybe 3/8 in. at the bottom of gasket.it was not plugging hole but could see it maybe slowing the water down. could this be my problem? is the head gasket in the middle of the motor? that looks like a all day job. the gasket ripped a little should i get a new one? what is it called the exhaust port gasket? sorry for all the questions just a little green when it comes to boat motors. thanks agian for all the help.

Last edited:
took cover off left side facing the back of the motor.there was a little junk maybe 3/8 in. at the bottom of gasket.it was not plugging hole but could see it maybe slowing the water down. could this be my problem? is the head gasket in the middle of the motor? that looks like a all day job. the gasket ripped a little should i get a new one? what is it called the exhaust port gasket? sorry for all the questions just a little green when it comes to boat motors. thanks agian for all the help.

i took that 76 55 hp out today for an hour it sure runs good and pumps well until i get the boat up on plane and the motor over heats. Pumps well with the hose removed from the head about a foot it shoot out when on plane but when conneted it does not cool the head removing the head for inspection is simple on this motor I just don't understand why it was not over heating befor i replace the impeller which was in rough shape and verily pumped

You run in salt? If so the motor may be full of shale/calsification.Most people don't run their motors and flush them with fresh water.
Pull the thermostat??

I will look at the thermo today, when the hose is remove from the thermo housing hot steam flows out at idle when reved hot water flows from the thermo housing several inches --- seems like the water should travel in one direction -- the other end of the hose has good flow and lots of pressure but when hook back up to the thermo side ther is a restriction taken place you have to be very careful with this motor when removing parts always being a last resort sometimes you only get one chance so you have to know what the problem is befor hand.--I have cursed this motor on numerous occasions and thoughts of deep sixing it often occur on the water I not giving up yet I want to suffer a little longer

the 3 bolts securing thr thermo housing are froze but with time i should free them --maybe --also when blowing into the thermo housing it flows freely threw the motor there might not be a thermo in there and it flows freely on the otherside as well--- no blockage as i can tell

Picture 445.jpgpulled foot for inspection put water hose on water tube and water flows freely threw motor looks like the thremo is stuck open are missing, pulled the head about 5 minutes-- gaskit has defects at weakest point near cylinder wall --all looks good inside will replace gaskit tomorrow --I can see thermo installed but can't remove thermo bolts

Last edited:
jerryjerry05 i run in fresh water only.i looked and cannot fine a thermostat anywhere?? this is a10hp. i thought it was only cooled by water impleller. any hints where it is at?thank you .

Picture462.jpg

Last edited:
If there is one there it's usually on the top/front of the head.
Might not have one.
I looked on the parts diagram and it doesn't show one.J

replaced head today -all went well -runs a little better= but no inprovement in water flow threw the head -water flow is exellent coming from clear hose(exhaust side ) but pressure coming from head restricks it once connectted (thermo side -are head) well i will take pisbrokes advice and look at exhaust side plate now--- its easy to remove accept for one froze bolt down at the bottom---i tested the thermo while in the head and it works fine

Last edited:
i think i got the 10hp. going. replaced exhaust gasket and put thermo tex gasket sealer on the bottom of the metal plate on the impeller.seems to pump water alot better running in a barrel. had to make my own gasket it took awhile because you have to cut two out for exhaust side.make sure the water tube fits into impeller housing the first time i put it back together it didnt go in right.hope to take it out in the next few days i'll let you know how it goes.

Back