Logo

Engine won't turn over

auchandler1

Contributing Member
I recently put my engine back together because I replace the pistons. After I put everything back together I try to start it up and the motor sounds like its dieing and does not turn over.I see the starter pop up but the engine just doesn't crank. I need help on this issue anyone asap.

The starter pops up and turns the flywheel a bit and then it won't turn and sounds like the battery is dieing. No clue if its timing or electric or what. I'm completely lost right now. Need help

Probably 95% of all starter problems is electrical. Is the battery fully charged? Check all your connections. They must be very clean and tight. Check the lugs very closely for any signs of corrosion. They can corrode inside where you can't see it and cause the problem you are having. If you know how to do a voltage drop test you could check them that way. Another way would be to temporally substitute the cables with jumper cables. If all the cables have been confirmed good, try jumping the starter solenoid. Just because it clicks does NOT mean its good. If you are sure the solenoid is good have your battery load tested, regardless of age. This brings you to the starter itself. Remove it and have it tested by your local auto electric shop. They can rebuild it for you if needed and save you some money. Let us know how you make out.

I don't see why it could be the starter. Starter pops up but with plugs in it the flywheel does not spin as well as when I take the plugs out. I'm thinking this is due because of the compression. I just recently rebuilt the motor. Just don't see how it could be the starter. Also I just bought a brand new battery today. Works better then the old but still cant get it to fire up. Try putting pre-mix in it as well as lubing it up.

Jerryjerry I took the plugs out and turns very easy

Last edited:
explain all that you did to this motor and could you post a pic --did you have starter problems before work

Last edited:
Take the starter apart and clean it.Inspect the brushes.The base of the starter can get dirty with carbon from the brushes.The magnets could come loose.
The connections:ground not tight?The positive cable could be bad.
Re-building and higher comp could make a difference but not likley if the starter is good.
It's possible that something was assebbled wrong and making it harder to turn over??
IBN said the solenoid:could be bad not allowing a good connection.Jumper it or bypass and see if that makes a difference.
Load test the battery one weak or dead cell??
Do these things and get back.

I don't see why it could be the starter. Starter pops up but with plugs in it the flywheel does not spin as well as when I take the plugs out. I'm thinking this is due because of the compression. I just recently rebuilt the motor. Just don't see how it could be the starter. Also I just bought a brand new battery today. Works better then the old but still cant get it to fire up. Try putting pre-mix in it as well as lubing it up.

Jerryjerry I took the plugs out and turns very easy

I am having the exact same problem did you have any luck with this and find a solution.

hook up a multi meter (20v dc scale) between the negative post and positive post on the battery...it should read 12.7 volts...then try to turn the motor with the key and take a reading and record it...then move the positive lead from the battery to the positive lead on the starter...thats on the starter itself..take a reading and record it...move the lead from the negative post on the meter to a ground on the motor..any unpainted spot or bolt on the block will do...take a reading...all these readings except the first one should be taken when you are trying to turn the motor..try to have the meter on the post of the battery and not on the wire...same with starter end...you are looking to see if you have a voltage drop...
please get back to us with the readings...

You should start your own thread.
Incude your location.
Do a compression test.remove all the plugs and do the test.
These pics were from a working starter,weak but working.
Clean out yours.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Picture 001.jpg