Logo

1955 Evinrude Fisherman oil to use

I need to know if I can substitute using the new 30, 50, or 100 oil sold at dealers for the old SAE 30 oil mixed with high-test gas. A dealer told me I could mix the new oil 50 to 1 and it would be fine and have less smoke in the exhaust. ALSO, if I must still use SAE 30 oil mixed with the gas, is it detergent or non-detergent?

Dennis
Use any oil that has a "TCW-3" rating. It is made for marine/water cooled motors.
I have the Johnson version of that motor, and was advised by outboard collectors and restorers, to use a 16to1 mix.
The dealer either lacks knowledge or He wants to sell You a new motor.
A little bit of oil costs less than a motor!
If that motor runs as nice as My Johnson, Your gonna love it.
Good Luck with Your motor.
Steve A W

DO NOT run 50:1 in your fisherman. The dealer is either stupid, or as said before, wants to sell you a new motor. The higher hp (18 and up) motors can be run on 50:1, because they have roller/ball bearings throughout the powerhead. The smaller motors use plain bushings/bearings. Anything less than 24:1 will kill these bearings in no time. And for the record, I still use 24:1 in my 1958 18 and 35, as well as my 1958 5 1/2 fisherman. Oil is cheap, so are spark plugs when they foul from the extra oil.

Thanks. I will go with the 24 to 1 (TCW-3 rating) on oil and not use the new oil at 50 to 1.

Do I use detergent or non-detergent or if I use the TCW, will it be good to use?

Dennis

The TCW-3 is a modern outboard oil. Any reputable brand is OK. Just use the TCW-3 at 24:1 or 16:1...I run 24:1. The modern outboard oils aren't rated as detergent or non-detergent.

Bill W.

Thanks. That's the part of my question nobody answered (detergent vs. non-detergent). I will use 24:1 of TCW-3 when the mechanical work is done. I bought the 5.5 HP Fisherman at a flea market with the assurance it would run and found out after it was tuned up that it didn't have a lower piston or rod, to my surprise. The guy I bought it from is reputable and is fixing it now so it runs. I was lucky to find an honest guy.

I was wondering if the motor will give off a lot of smoke with that much oil in the gas.

Dennis

Post #2 says to run it a 24:1 ---------------If smoke is a problem then run it at 50:1 ------It will run , but not for the next 50 years.

You may use any TCW (Two Cycle Watercooled) certified oil at a ratio of 24:1.
The only difference between the TCW II(2) and TCW III(3) is that TCW III is certified for use in separate oil-tanks like the VRO. It has a higher resistance of forming 'gel' in humid conditions which prevents oil-filters to be clogged up. Mixed in fuel no difference. If you want to minimize carbon build-up on pistons, head and exhaust system, you may even used the XD-50 oil for E-Tech engines.

Dennis. Yes, it will smoke a bit, as all older motors do. I respect Racerone's opinions and knowledge, but on this topic I disagree with him. I would NOT run a plain bearing engine at 50:1. Would you rather have the motor for another 50 years, or 1 or 2?. Besides, it adds to the experience of running a 50+ year old motor. I don't notice the exhaust smoke, except a bit when trolling or idling at the dock. My 58 5 1/2 Fisherman came in 2 milk crates, and is now a restored classic. See my avatar. Enjoy your classic when you get it back.
Bill

I did not " recommend 50:1 "-------I just see repeated posts on a simple subject plus a " concern " about smoke!!---------Post # 2 say 24:1 and very clearly so.

The oil of choice today is the TCW-3 rating. Some people get confused because some brand labels say 50:1 and then they think that is how it should be mixed. Given the advances in oil technology it maybe possible to run the old motors at 50:1, which some people do, but you won't find that little in my motors. The old motors do smoke more than the new 2 strokes and way, way more than the 4 strokes. There are some synthetic TCW-3 oils out that will smoke less than the non-synthetics and are considered more environmentally friendly. Also try to avoid the use of ethanol as it tends to eat the coatings off the cork floats used in the carbs. If you must use ethanol get the fuel proof float and won't hurt to also shut off the fuel and run the carb dry. Most of the smoking is seen at start up and disappears as the motor warms up.

I've got another question about the Evinrude Fisherman. I've had some trouble getting it started. I replaced the ignition system and discovered I had to replace a missing piston, as well. All that is done, now, but it still won't start. I'm using the 24:1 TCW-3 oil mixture gas. I tested the compression and found one cylinder has 75 PSI and the other has 78 PSI. My question is: Is that enough compression for the motor to start and work properly? I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments.

Back