Logo

Having some engine issues

gransport3800

I have a 1971 Chrysler 55, I'm having trouble with 2 different things. First off I'm having trouble keeping the engine running upon start-up. It runs ok when the choke is kept on and when I let off the choke and try to idle down the motor it dies. There is a brass screw inside the front part of the carburetor, is it and idle/mixture screw? Also I am not sure if the engine is pumping water through itself. I have it sitting over a trash can with water in it filled about half way up the lower unit. I'm not sure where the water goes in or comes out.

Tach and stuff 002.jpgThe screw is the air screw.Out 1 and 1/16 and leave it(for now.
I'd change the fuel pump diaphram.All the hoses/squeezie and inline connectors.
Clean the carbs.
If the water pickup is on the side above the gear housing.Use muffs and run it.You will need special muffs(see pic).The other bigger muffs will make it overheat.
The water should exit the snout on the bottom or a single hole half the way up the back of the motor.
Replace the impeller just to be sure.You should have(maybe not) a clear hose on the motor to see water circulating.
Do these things and post the results.J

Dont dismantle anything until you have tried this ...slow running jet 1 1/4 turns out from a gentle seating and put the water in your bucket about 9 in above the ventilation plate ..Muffs are not always a good idea...tank is better. For peace of mind fit a pisser ..in top of head is a plug ..take it out and get a fitting ...airline shop is best and run a small dia pipe with a 1/8 outlet to the starbard side of the engine so you can see it when driving ..should piss at all speeds

Back