Logo

Low idle issues on 6HP 4 cycle (2009)

awsmits

This outboard starts and runs great, except it does not idle down without dying. I've removed and disassembled the carb and thoroughly cleaned it (except for the sealed pilot screw), put it back on, but still the same problem. Is it likely that the passage for the pilot set screw is blocked?

I've also tried fuel cleaner and a new spark plug.

Any ideas?
:confused:

What method did you use to clean the carb? Have you been running the carb dry at the end of each day?

I disassembled everything that I could (except the sealed pilot thread screw) and cleaned it with the spray carb cleaner solvent, making sure that I sprayed it in every orifice I could find. There were some deposits in the bowl, which were removed with cleaner and brushing. Being such a relatively new engine, I didn't think a carb rebuild was necessary.

You made the carb shiny, but did not clean the passages. Carb spray is not aggressive enough to dissolve varnishing in the passages. Do a complete disassembly, including the jet and emulsion tube nozzle, followed by a 4-hour soak in real carb dip. Then you can blow everything out with carb spray, and you will probably be OK. If the slow-speed passages will not come clean this way, you may need a new carb, which costs about $110 from any dealer, including me.

In the future, run the carb dry at the end of every day. It only takes about a week for today's poor fuel to develop enough varnishing to cause your symptoms.

Thanks, Paul. This sounds like the voice of experience. I'll try the dip method next, and if that doesn't cure it, you'll be hearing from me again to do some new carb business. Thanks for tip about running the engine out of gas at the end of the day...I remember my dad doing this with his 10HP Merc at day's end after we went fishing, and always wondered why he bothered. Now I know!

Back