Logo

NS5b Starting Problem

cinq1950

I just picked up a used NS5b 5hp Nissan motor looks good but won't start right it is getting fuel and air seems to be getting spark but I replaced the coil and saftey switch still won't start right. what should i change next.
Thanks for any help you can offer

What are the symptoms of "does not start right"? Why did you change the coil and stop switch? Did they test bad? Have you disassembled and checked the carb?

Yes I checked the carb saftey switch the rubber boot was ripped and I just feel it is and electrical problem when I pull the plug and touch it to metal on the engine I seem to get a spark but when i put it back in I can pull on it for a long time and it will not start we did get it started once a it ran great but i let it stall and again we could not get it started again

OK. So you don't have the arsenal you need to address the issue. Either grab the Factory service manual so you can diagnose it properly, or take it in to a dealer. As it is, you are driving blind, and you need a guide.

If you have spark, you have spark.

90% of the issues today are carb, especially the low speed circuits. How did you "check the carb"? Did you completely disassemble it, including jets and the emulsion tube "nozzle", and give everything a 4-hour soak in carb dip, followed by a blow-out with carb spray, and then a careful reassembly, checking adjustments? If not, start there.

Last edited:
OK. So you don't have the arsenal you need to address the issue. Either grab the Factory service manual so you can diagnose it properly, or take it in to a dealer. As it is, you are driving blind, and you need a guide.

If you have spark, you have spark.

90% of the issues today are carb, especially the low speed circuits. How did you "check the carb"? Did you completely disassemble it, including jets and the emulsion tube "nozzle", and gibe everything a 4-hour soak in carb dip, followed by a blow-out with carb spray, and then a careful reassembly, checking adjustments? If not, start there.

I took the carb aprt it looks like it just came out of the factory I'm concerned I have an intermittent spark I am checking that now

I took the carb aprt it looks like it just came out of the factory I'm concerned I have an intermittent spark I am checking that now

You cannot make that claim, since you cannot see inside the passages. I repeat...90% of the issues today are carb, especially the low speed circuits. How did you "check the carb"? Did you completely disassemble it, including jets and the emulsion tube "nozzle", and give everything a 4-hour soak in carb dip, followed by a blow-out with carb spray, and then a careful reassembly, checking adjustments? If not, start there.

Back