Logo

Water Pump Test?

gonefission

I have a Alpha One connected to a 3.0L Chevy. All stock Mercrusier.
I was told that I should have my water pump replaced since the boat is over 6 years old.
Before I run down with the proceeds of a second mortgage in hand, is there a test I can run to see if the pump is bad or good?

gone, you have two water pumps, the one on the engine, then there is the seawater pump in the drive. it is this pump in the drive that should be changed every 2 years as chris stated. it wont take a mortage payment to replace it either

If the pump is more than TWO YEARS OLD, it needs to be replaced! No question!
Yes...... 6 years on the same impeller is asking for trouble...., even two years is risky IMO...... in particular with the "A" drive sea water pump impeller (these are short and stubby to begin with).

First..... and IMOO, if you are going to own this boat, engine and drive, you must have an OEM service manual.
The text, along with illustrations, will be worth every penny.

Secondly....... rubber vane/blade impellers fair best when undergoing a more continuous use, than they do while sitting for long OFF Season durations.
This is because the rubber of the three/four vanes/blades that remain folded over against the cam (in your case... eccentrically positioned) take a "set", much like windshield wiper blades........ Wiper blades do not wear out in the winter..... they go bad during the non-use of Summer while being at rest folded over against the glass!
Your impeller is doing similar when not in use!

Food for thought:

Change out impeller routinely. New impeller $25 + your time of X hours (you'll become better at this)..... let's say $80 worth of parts/time.
-VS-
A new replacement engine due to an over-heating issue from a sea water pump failure...... let's say $3,000 keeping it mild!

Degree at which you'll be kicking yourself in the behind for not changing the impeller??????? .... only you'd know! :)

Keep the "P" in "Preventative Maintenance". :cool:

Sound advice.

Lack of use is a real killer for may things.

What do you think is a fair price to have a qualified person replace the pump?

Thanks for the advice, really do appreciate it.

Mike

Based on other things I had to pay for that sounds reasonable.

If I lived a bit closer I'd bring it to your place.

Thanks for the response.

Mike

Back