Logo

1980's Honda 50 trolling squeal/small oil leak out of a vent tube??

snobum5637

I am trying to isolate an intermittent squeal that my 1980's 5hp Honda produces from time to time after hours of trolling. It usually shows up after the 4th or 5th hour but will show up, and vanish at various other times. It sounds like a bearing isnt getting enough oil and then will go away for a minute, or ten then return. It continues even if I change the RPM's to a faster speed. Its an old motor but runs well otherwise.
The other issue that is relatively new is the spitting of small amounts of oil from a tube that exits vertically from the upper unit. Traced the tube to the engine body (obviously not a mechanic here). Planing on changing the oil and going to synthetic. I dont want to invest much into the engine at 89 bucks an hour labor. Just trying to keep the life in it. I know it loves the 35 pound chinook it takes us to!

Any insight??

Hope the oil change fixed it. The tube you are referring to was probably a the crankcase breather tube. It you had too much oil.

Make sure you change the gear lube too.

As for the squeel. Next time it happens, take along a short piece of hose and use it as a stethoscope to locate where the squeal is originating.

Make sure all grease points are lubricated...and look closely around and under the flywheel to be sure the heat is not expanding something and causing something to rub against the flywheel.

Mike

Thank you Mike. I appreciate the feedback. We are heading out this week and it will be put through its paces. I changed the oil last night and the lower unit gear oil was changed recently too. I'll see what I can find with the stethascope if the noise returns. Fish on!

Back