Logo

Alpha One outdrive water pump leaking water out weep hole.

trking2

I have an 1999 Alpha One that had it's water pump replaced this past winter. Ran the boat fine in the Spring. Had a problem with a rear steel freeze plug in the starboard head, so fixed that and added a FWC system recently. Flushing the boat at home, I noticed that water is exiting a small weep hole on the inside of the outdrive near the shift linkage shoe. Never saw water exiting out from there, only through the exhaust ports. So could the addition of the FWC system have caused a problem with the sterndrive pump, that would require inspection and possible repair/replacement?
Thanks, Tom

Ayuh,.... Everything is Wet in the drive when runnin'...
If the weep hole is drippin', it's doin' it's job...

Thanks for replying Bondo!

Please let me quantify leaking. It's not dripping, but spraying a stream of water out of this weep hole.

If my mechanical brain is working right, I could equate this leaking the same as a belt driven water pump (engine) that leaks out the weep hole, which means that internal damage has happened to your water pump, I.E., the pump shaft seal is defective and water or antifreeze is leaking out of the system. If this outdrive weephole is spraying an amount of water out, that volume of water is not flowing through the heat exchanger on the FWC system and engine overheating can become a problem. I haven't seen indication of oveheating while running the engine at home with the flush cup, but don't want to experience over heating with the engine under load while out in the middle of the Chesapeake.

Thanks, Tom

Nope,... That weep hole drains it's nook in the drive casting...
The inside of the casting is pretty much Full of water, in the water, 'n has Gallons flowin' through it on the muffs...
Not only is the raw water goin' up the feed tube,...
The exhausted water is flowin' down the casting...

It's the exhausted water yer seein'...

OK, Thanks Barno! Being this is exhaused water, should the water temp from the weep hole get warm as the engine heats up? I'll get a shot at running again this week-end and I want to check that and then run a short trip out from the docks.

Thanks!, again :) , Tom

that weep hole also allows the casting to drain any water left inside,say sea water,and stops it corroding from the inside,so when you flush the system,all the trapped water escapes

I'm reduilding my water pump and on inspection the front cavity is completely full and blocked with I believe zerbra muscles I'm trying to use a pick to clean it out but its solid my concern is if left plugged it would not drain water and freeze and crack housing I live in buffalo any thoughts?

get a long masonary drill and carefully drill the cavity to remove mud and debris. If you cannot reach the depth of the existing drain hole
just redrill another at the depth of the drill bit

Doing that now can only get half way so far feels like concrete! I am being careful I will see if I can get a thinner drill than I have. I have my other drive out to compare it to its about 13" deep. If I can't get it I will drill another weep hole

Back