MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Default 1976 Johnson 35 hp electric start, converting to a tiller steer, no spark

I aquired this motor and the remote cable was cut, I converted it to a tiller steer and got my throttle hooked up. I rigged up a push button starter. I still have the other end of the remote plug and around 4 feet of wire. The wire colors on remote wire are black, black w/ yellow stripe, purple w/ white stripe, yellow, red w/ purple stripe. I am not getting fire at my spark plugs, and I'm guessing it has something to do w/ the remote plug. Has anyone ever made a conversion like this? Any help is appreciated!!

Default Re: 1976 Johnson 35 hp electric start, converting to a tiller steer, no spark

Figured out my problem, wasn't the wiring, cleaned and gapped the points, works perfect.

Default Re: 1976 Johnson 35 hp electric start, converting to a tiller steer, no spark

Quote Originally Posted by HollinKY View Post
    I aquired this motor and the remote cable was cut, I converted it to a tiller steer and got my throttle hooked up. I rigged up a push button starter. I still have the other end of the remote plug and around 4 feet of wire. The wire colors on remote wire are black, black w/ yellow stripe, purple w/ white stripe, yellow, red w/ purple stripe. I am not getting fire at my spark plugs, and I'm guessing it has something to do w/ the remote plug. Has anyone ever made a conversion like this? Any help is appreciated!!
    I would like to do the same to my 1976 (I believe) 35 hp electric start Johnson. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bob