Logo

Outdrive Boot

mountainman

ON the large lake style houseboats ; you know - the 70 footers and bigger --- how often do they have to change the boot or bellows or whatever it is they call that big hunk of rubber that separates the boat from the water ? I know these boats don't move from the docks very much and was wondering how it affects that vital piece of rubber . Do they give ya any warning before they start leaking and is total removal from the water the only way to replace them ? Kinda would worry about one sinking if they stay in the water for 4 or 5 years and get brittle . Any thoughts ???? :confused:

...how often do they have to change the boot or bellows or whatever it is they call that big hunk of rubber that separates the boat from the water ?...

I've seen houseboats w/ various outboard brands and Mercruiser I/O (inboard/outboards) drives. I would think the Mercury I/O drives would need their bellows inspected/serviced whenever the boat gets pulled from the water or at least every 8-10 years. Perhaps more often if your in an area w/an abundance of muskrats or beavers. Never heard of anyone doing the work under water so it seems that the houseboat would need to be lifted out of the water w/a sling or hauled out. You'll know if the bellows on a Mercruiser are leaking if the auto/bilge pump runs continuosly. I don't know about Volvo or old OMC drives. Why not ask the local servicemen running around working on the houseboats at the marina?

Last edited:
Ayuh,... Expected service life of the bellows is 5 years....

I changed mine last year, at 8 years, 'n it wasn't a moment to soon...

A close visual inspection each spring, while the drive is off is a Good idea, but no garrentee..

Back