Logo

Tohatsu to Johnson fuel connection?

Fishn4Funn

Currently running a 1997 Johnson 70hp on a Smokercraft, so the connection is Evinrude. Adding a 2009 Tohatsu 9.8 kicker. Can I adapt the fuel line from Tohatsu to the Evinrude fitting on my 24 gallon fuel tank? Maybe an adapter?

Is your Johnson a 2-stroke? If so, you won't want to run the premixed fuel with the 9.8. Otherwise, just add a T fitting, and connect the primer hose for the 9.8 (now you will have 2 ends -- one for OMC, and one for Tohatsu) and you should be fine.

The Tohatsu is a 4 stroke, the Johnson is a 2 stroke and is still a VRO so the tank is straight gas. So that is not a problem. But if you are saying I can put a splitter in the hose, that would mean that the splitter would simply be connected to each hose, no special connection there, and then the respective connectors just plug into the respective motors, each a different type. Sounds simple enough. If I've missed something let me know.

Thanks

That's the setup. Just make sure that the respective primer bulbs are downstream of the splitter, so you don't suck air back into the system. Or, if you prefer, you can run 2 hoses all the way to the tank, and use a Tee there.

Being a new boater I really appreciate the help pvanv. Nothing like starting out prepared. Btw my Johnson 50hp to 70hp Service Manual just arrived. Looking forward to perusing the chapters.

Back