Logo

DP-S drive removing paint before bolting zinc to transom shield

jon_allen

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys,
Do I need to remove the paint from the transom shield before bolting on a new zinc? The factory paint was never removed. I wonder if the threads in the transom shield will provide an adequate path for a good connection. Also what about doing the same for the zinc that is on the drive ahead of the props?

Thanks
Jon Allen

.......... I wonder if the threads in the transom shield will provide an adequate path for a good connection.
That's the idea.... let the fasteners provide the path........ not bare aluminum!
Otherwise, the factory would have ommitted the paint in this area.

Thanks
Jon Allen[/QUOTE]

Ditto Rick. Removing the paint from a drive is not a good idea. While the anode is doing it's job, it will reduce in size and may not contact every part of the mounting surface the paint was removed from anyway. The OEM has gone through great lengths/research/expense to come up with the best barrier that is practical, don't remove it!

Thanks Guys
I'm glad I contacted you before I pulled out the grinder. Just kidding. I have personally done this in the past but I'm learning more as time goes on. Sad thing is many people and I do mean many still grind off the paint.

Thanks again,
Jon Allen

Sad thing is many people and I do mean many still grind off the paint.
And what they're doing, Jon, is exposing more bare aluminum to corrosion. Not good!

Ciscokid says that "everybody is different" .... well, I'm one of those different guys! :D

Last edited:
Back