Logo

Yahama 115 ( 4 stroke ) Acceleration

Yam Repair

I have a Yamaha 115 / 4-stroke, 2005 model . When moving the console-throttle handle forward the engine accelerates, however during this process the handle has to be pulled back a little than forward again almost as if you were “pumping” the engine to go faster. After it reaches full speed say at 4100 RPM’s the engine begins to decrease back to 3800 RPM and remains at that RPM. To re-accelerate back to 4100 RPM’s the throttle handle is pulled back just a little then push forward quickly.
Any suggestions ?

Last edited:
Too weird. I think you should verify all cable securing hardware and cable ends. How old are your fuel filters? After that visit your favorite dealer.

It sounds like your VST filter is plugged. The engine should top out above 5000 rpms. When you run at 4200 it uses enough fuel that the high pressure pump can't keep up and pressure probably drops. When you back off on the throttle it allows pressure to build back up and then when you push the throttle back you can temporarily increase rpms. A fuel pressure gauge would tell if this is happening.......but a restricted VST or fuel separator filter would be my guess.

Last edited:
Back