Logo

1986 bayliner capri 2.1 volvo slow speed

natebassmaster

I have just got my 1986 bayliner in the water after many fixes. It has a 2.1 volvo with 270 outdrive and the boat only gets up to 30 to 35 mph even at 4000 to 4500 rpm. Not sure the cause and looking for suggestions. Thanks

Is it 30 or 35? 4000 or 4500?
Prop?? Any changes? The aftermarket props don't always work good on the smaller Volvos.
What prop?
Check compression/spark.J

It is closer to 30 than 35 it gets up to that speed quick. I do not know if anyone had changed the prop. Not sure how to tell what prop is on it? The rpms can go to the max but just is not pushing the boat. I thought maybe the prop is to small?

Post a pic.If it revs up and no go it';s possible the hub has spun.
Mark the hub and see if it spins when you take it out.
35 MPH is not that bad.
Too small a prop would make it over rev.
The guys at Cobemarine.com can tell you what prop you have.
If you decide to change get a VOLVO prop.Not an after market.
Worked on a boat one day.The guy said it wasn't getting up to the old speed.
So I checked EVERYTHING,twice.So I said I don't know.
Then I noticed the prop was new and the old prop was setting on the ground.I asked when did the trouble start?
He said when he changed the old Volvo prop to a new Michigan wheel.
Changed it back and NO problem.

The rpms get to redline and still seems to have a little more. I saw were it said this boat should be clos to 50mph. I do notice the prop has some dings on it not sure if that would have much effect on speed. The hub is the cone shape infront of the prop? What if it has spun what do you do? Thanks

The prop is 14x19 which it calls for. Not sure if it may have been resurfaced alot or what. What if I went up to a 14x21 would that increase the speed?

It would make you a bit faster but worse on fuel.I don't think that boat ever got anywhere near 50mph.
You need to go for a ride.1-2 *****s, full cooler maybe 1-2 kids,dog, 1/2 tank of fuel(normal load).Then figure out the rpm's at WOT.
But is the prop a Volvo prop or aftermarket?Pic?

Back