Logo

Synthetic oil for D4-225

LaiLani

I'm thinking of changing to synthetic oil in my Volvo D4-225. Anybody have a recomendation? I'm thinking Mobile 1 Turbo Diesel. The engine has 1200 hrs and runs great. Thankyou for your time...

I'm no expert, but as I understand it , switching from fully synthetic oils to semi synthetic ( hydrocrack ) or mineral oils presents no problem.

What you are proposing however does.

One of the properties of synthetic oils is that they act as a detergent and tend to dissolve the carbon build up on piston rings etc. thereby actually reducing compression. In addition the oil seals on your engine will now be hardened after prolonged use , which will lead to leaks if you use synthetic oil.

Synthetic oils are superb lubricants if they are used from when an engine is new.

I run a Volvo D3 110 and use Shell Rimula 15/40 , a heavy duty marine diesel oil which has the same specifications as Volvos own brand , but half the price.

Hope this is of help to you.

PS Moderators. Can you delete the entry ref. Shell Rimula if I have contravened Forum rules.

I've heard of the cleaning qualities of the synthetics were greater and I had planned on changing the oil filter earlier then usual. I wasn't aware of the seal problem. Well I'm wondering if going to a parasynthetic would be better as maybe it would be a slower cleaning action and less softening of the seals. Hopefully there will be more input on this subject. Mobile TDT or Shell Rotella T6 were what I was looking at if I were going full synthetic at this time. Thanks for your input..

Back