Logo

Mercury 120HP Sport Jet on F16 Sea Rayder -- low compression

cwk1958

Just had our F16 Sea Rayder evaluated since it didn't run last year (had it winterized etc). Took it to the shop and mechanic says it has "low compression". Can anyone give me any ideas as to what will be needed to fix the "low compression"? What would be the cause or causes of the low compression. We bought the boat with 75 hours on it and it currently has 92 hours. Should we get it fixed? Any help, insight, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The boat is a 1996 and other than this "detail" looks great! Help!

Thanks for your responses, it's greatly appreciated!
Jet Boat Owner

What was the reading of the compression? Was it just in one cylinder? How does it run? Low compression could be a couple things, including a faulty compression tester. Sometimes you can give the rings a lttle life by squirting mystery oil into the sparkplug hole, but really, need more info, like the readings from the compression test.

Low compression could be the result of bad head gasket(s) or worn or stuck rings (and probably a couple other issues, but those would be the most common).

Since the boat is a 1996 (assume the engine is as well), the less than 100 hours use in the last 15 years tells me that it sits idle most of it's life. Sitting takes its toll as well, so regardless of how many "actual" hours you have on the engine, you can kinda figure 100 hours of "wear" for every year that it is old - so your's has used up about 1100 hours of it's lifespan (which in general is somewhere between 800-1200 hours) and Jet's generally have a shorter lifespan than regular outboards - they squeeze more horses out of smaller engines which puts added stress on all the parts.

So, despite the low usage, I am not surprised by the "low compression" - motors really fall into the "use it or lose it catagory".

If it's just a dried up gasket or two, the labour will be minimal, ditto the parts costs.

If the rings are tired (rusted from non-use, despite winterization last year - was it winterized "every" year?), you can be looking at dropping upwards of a couple of grand to have a shop haul out the engine, tear it down, fix what needs fixin and then putting it all back together (which is still less than 20% of the cost of a new motor - and until you have it apart it's difficult to predict how much needs to be done).

Did the "mechanic" happen to tell you what the compression numbers were?

Merc doesn't specify an exact compression number for most of the motors, but you generally would be looking for something north of 100 psi (110-120 range would be fine) with no more than a 15 psi variance between the 4 cylinders.

However, if this is a "toy" that you really don't use, you may want to part company with it "as is". You could end up spending more trying to fix it than it would be worth if you did try and sell it after making the repairs.

Thanks for your prompt response. I don't know any answers to your questions. That is why I posted this question. I don't want to make a decision to fix or not to fix without asking questions. You have given me a good start. I will ask those questions. He may have given that info to my husband and my husband didn't give me all the details. I don't know. I will post when I get the information. Thanks again!

It is a " left over " Force engine marketed as a Mercury unit.---------------Most likely a scored piston and damaged piston rings.---------------You need to pull the cylinderhead off to inspect.--------------------Oil injection being used or bypassed ???.------------Lucky you if it is a blown head gasket.------------May parts are listed as " no longer available " for these units.

thanks for all the information. Haven't got the exact compression numbers. Outlook bleak I guess. What a shame. The boat was winterized after each summer of usage. A couple summers it wasn't used since it didn't go above 70. Will post compression numbers once they become available.

Update on compression: All four cylinders is the 60-70 psi range. Outlook grim for the engine. (Other issues too) Now next question: Do we find a different engine for the boat. Should we spend the money to rebuild the engine or put it out to jetboat pasture. Thanks for your help

Did you fix this boat? Are you willing to sell? Where is it located?

Update on compression: All four cylinders is the 60-70 psi range. Outlook grim for the engine. (Other issues too) Now next question: Do we find a different engine for the boat. Should we spend the money to rebuild the engine or put it out to jetboat pasture. Thanks for your help

Back