Logo

STARLING 5HP JET OUTBOARD 1965 P300 or P500

• Thread starter Bernard R Buzak
  • Start date
B

Bernard R Buzak

"I am considering buying one o

"I am considering buying one of these...........supposedly a Clinton engine combined with a Propulsion Research jet drive. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Is this motor a good bet, assuming good condition ? Did they have a weakness ? Are parts still available for Clintons ? Manuals for the motor or the jet unit ?
I would like to use this motor on the river on a Coleman scanoe, and since there is nothing new comparable to this, I am willing to work through some difficulties with this motor.
Is there anything new in a 5HP max rated motor equipped with jet drive ?

[email protected]"

" The Clinton engines are pret

" The Clinton engines are pretty reliable and parts plentiful, but the jet drive lower units can be tough to keep going. The impellers wear out and the lower bearings are hard to find. Add to the fact that jet drive cuts most motors effectiveness by close to 50% and it's not hard to see that you'd be better off with a nice 3 hp OMC with angle drive. I use my '58 that way all the time. "

" Hi All,
I bought a Clinton

" Hi All,
I bought a Clinton "Apache" Outboarder on a local
fleemarket.The ModelNr is J9 1100
Has anybody an idea how old it is, how much capacity / HP ?
Is there a supplier of spareparts/ manuals ?
Here in Germany the Motor seems to be completely unknown !! "

" Man, this Message Board is o

" Man, this Message Board is old---
Bernard, My dad used to have the franchise in our area on the 5HP Starling Jet. I think he kept 3 of them for himself. That was in 1960s. He died in 1994 and they all got sold. He used them hard in the Delaware River in PA. They were great. They only had the power of about a 3HP prop job, but you could go anywhere with them. If the river current was too strong for the motor, he would go up river, right up against the bank, where there was hardly any current. The only thing I can remember him having trouble with was the starter rope breaking and the throttle adjustment was touchy. I wish they still made those little guys!!! By the way, he was selling them, brand new, still in the box, for $149. "

Back