Logo

Volvo 225D Engine Change. Help?

down4dbrown

I am pulling my engine and I need to know what the process is to remove the engine from the bell housing and how the whole thing hooks together. Are there any tricks? Do I need to drop the drive?
It is a 1980 boat, with a 225 D Volvo-Penta engine. The stern drive is also a Volvo-Penta but I am not sure the model.

Last edited:
If removing the engine only, there is no need to remove the drive. Just simply disconnect the engine from the flywheel cover.
I would remove the exhaust riser from the manifolds also, getting these out of your way. Makes re-installation a bit easier.

Pull the engine mount lag bolts, and leave the entire engine mounts connected to the engine.
This allows for the engine mounts to slide on the stringers while the engine is moved forward some.
Depending on the hull, the crankshaft pump may need to be removed also.

I'd strongly encourage you to replace the PDS (primary drive shaft) bearings, of which does require that the transmission ONLY be reomved. (no need to remove the entire drive)
To save me some key strokes, go to my Vault thread and you'll find a link to some threads that address PDS bearing replacement. There are a few "Do's/Don'ts" that are important..... and these are mentioned.

I can't emphasize enough the importance of replacing these two bearings.

The AQ225D should be using the one pc red flywheel cover.
This F/C uses two open bearings for the PDS......... a #6206 and a #6007 (NO Chinese bearings :mad: ).
The two seals are a TCM or Timken 35x62x7mm.
All of these can be purchaed via a good local bearing supplier.
All V/P does is put their p/n on the SKF or ____ bearings and/or TCM or Timken type seals.
Same quality, much less cost.

Here's what may happen if/when the AFT-most bearing were to fail.
This is just the potential damage that can occur to the F/C.
Additional damage may also occur to the Universal Drive Shaft!
And on a bad day, it can take out the transmission's Bearing Box Clamping Collar. :mad:

Attachments

• Flywheel Cover explosion.jpg
    Flywheel Cover explosion.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 245
Ricardo,
Thanks man. That is just what I needed. I will definitely change those seals. -Nate
Nate, you are very welcome.

Just an FYI...... it's not the seals that are the concern..... it's the bearings.... and in particular the 6206 AFT bearing that needs to be replaced.
We're in there, so we change both!

Note that these are to be "Open" bearings, not sealed bearings.
These same bearings are available as a "sealed" bearing.... same p/n but with an extension #.
We DO NOT want sealed bearings installed in a Flywheel Cover that offers the grease port.... as does yours.

See the Vault thread again regarding the installation, and in particular the "pre-filling" of the grease cavity prior to seal installation.
Also note that the FWD seal should be glued in placed.

In the future..... grease these with the engine at idle.
Dynamic vs Static!

Last edited:
Hey my distributor rusted out, I would like to go with HEI or Mallory set up instead. Do you know what parts I would need ?
Thank you!

You would be better off starting a new thread ( see "Post New Thread" button) instead of tacking this request on to a non related 11 year old topic.

Last edited:
Back