Logo

2000 BF 90 Honda, dies under quick acceleration! help Please.

nutley

Ok so the motor starts great, idles great, runs at top speed great, runs great under a slow accerleration, but under a quick accerleration it dies. I brought it into the local dealer and this is what they did, changed oils, top and bottom, changed plugs, fuel filter, put in a valve kit(needed or not, not sure) and said there was a recall on an exhaust sensors, so they changed that. I was charged $800cdn. I had asked them to look into the problem of it dieing under a quick accerleration and they told me that the vavle kit and sensor should work, but it didn't Anyone have any thoughts.

Hi Nutley,

I am very confused here, I thought that a 2000 model was a carby model and as such would not have any "exhaust sensors" but I am obviously mistaken. ( Better go back over the 90's Ive done so far and check all the sensors!) I am also intrigued as to what the " valve kit" is in particular as used on the BF90 Honda.

From what you have mentioned, sounds like the carbys need a little cleaning, perhaps the accelerator pump adjustments on the throttle arm is not set correctly, or even they just need a good balance. It also sounds like you needed a service done to the motor anyway.

If you received an invoice for the parts used to "fix" it, perhaps you could post the part numbers they fitted, so I can see what it is they replaced that didnt fix the problem

Have you recently changed the fuel you are using?

Cheers
John

I am in no way a mechanic, so as far as exhaust sensors, and valve kits, I'm taking them for there word. But I do like the idea of posting the part numbers for you to check out. I will include the model # and as well. I have always used Premium fuel in this engine and I have owned it for about 5 yrs. I assumed when I asked for a tune up, they would clean the carbs, whoops, my bad for assuming. I will get the info posted asap. Thanks for your input and speedy reply.

I am with Dingyworld. The only sensors on the 90 carburated engine is an oil pressure switch and overheat switch.

If they did a carb job, they obviously missed the transition passages, propbably the carb balance, and also probably the accelerator pump adjustment. Hopefully, the valve kit was a float valve (needle).

Mike

All I can remember right now(at work) is the valve kit was $22 and change. not sure if you can identify if that is for the float valve or not, just by the price. I will be a bit disappointed if they tell me they did clean the carb. The dealer is actually a fairly good friend and a family run business. but saying that, business is business. good or bad. Thanks for your input.

When you use premium gas it must not contain ethanol. If you put the cheap premium in, you now have to take it out. Put the good stuff in.

The float valve (valve set) runs about $26 and some change US. There are four of them, since there are four carburators.

Mike

As far as fuel goes, we have bronze, silver and gold. Gold being the premium. Thats all I can do. Is there an additive or something I should be using to help keep the carb clean? Thanks.

This might be a stretch, but would anyone have a copy of the service manual for this motor that they would be willing to send to me? Thanks all.

Back