Logo

Engine numbers

Stainless man

Hi all, I have been given a 2 stroke 18hp tohatsu out board (part payment for some work I have done), The serial number tag/sticker on the side of the engine pan seems to be missing, are these numbers stamped anywhere else on the engine??. I am wanting to know these numbers to gauge year of manufacture ect. It is a dark grey motor, from looking at photo,s on the web I'm imagining it's early 00's. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards..

You probably have a 4-stroke 18. Year of manufacture is unimportant to anyone at this point; correct serial number (check on the soft plugs of the block) and model are critical. Value will be based wholly on condition; year having nothing to do with it.

You can DL your owner's manual at http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/manuals.html

That should help you identify the model.

Thanks Paul,
I checked the soft plugs and got the serial numbers. Turns out to be a 2003 model, 2 stroke.(information from the local tohatsu dealer) Have looked on the mentioned web site for the owners manual but from the pictures I still can't work out exactly what model it is. Any ideas ???

Regards
Anthony

Again, year means nothing, except to satisfy a nostalgic curiosity. Condition is everything for valuation, and model is critical for servicing. If it's an 18, and was originally sold in North America, it's either an M18C2 (ancient), D, E, or E2. Based on the vintage and paint color, it's likely an E2. The last of the mighty 2-strokes in that size. The big brother in the 9.9/15/18 family.

I'm pretty sure Tohatsu still stamps the serial # on the block/powerhead somewhere. Depending on the year it's either a 5 digit number (all numeric) or their new style serial #'s that have something like 6 numbers and 2 letters. Can't really tell you where exactly it would be though. Just have to look around. In some cases it's stamped into a "plug" on the block (round silver plug about the size of a quarter). In other cases, it's just stamped into the metal on the block somewhere. If you can find that serial # you can go to the Tohatsu website (under "contact us") and see if they can identify the model # and model year for you. If it really is a 2003 or newer, they should have a record of it.

Back