Logo

88 bayliner not running to its full potential

sinned616

I bought an 88 bayliner with a 125 force motor from its original owner,hasn't seen the water since 07. I heard it run started right up. The boat is pristine minus the fuel gauge. I brought it home test drove it pulled a wakeboard,and a tube no problems whatsoever. Not knowing how much fuel was in it I filled it with premium and Quicksilver oil 50:1. Now I can't get 30mph and underload it bogs bad. It won't rev up in neutral. When pulling a tube now I smell raw gas. When I take the hood off I got a milky looking gas pooled up it the flame arestors off the carbs. Changed the plugs put in some seafoam no help.

Profile???You might be close to smeone who can help.
Since it hasn't ran since 07 you should have drained the tank not filled it.
Ethanol is NOT a friend to older motors.
You need to replace ALL the rubber hoses,squeezie too.
Then replace the fuel pump diaphram.
Check the fuel vent from the tank and the pick up tube in the tank.
Clean the carbs and do compression/spark tests.

Checked the diaphram,checked the filter,seemed fine.the "squeeze" does feel pretty soft.the rubber not the pressure. I'm motor stupid why would it run top notch until then? Plugs are wet and a little oil is leaking down the plugs even tho they are tight.

Change the gas lines. There is a quick disconnect coming off the bulb to the fuel pump. It was torn up inside the neck of one side. Did a spark test oops top cylinder is not firing. Thanks for the help! Now where do you buy the part to fix it?

Gotta figure out why it's not sparking. outboardignition.com Has test procedures for the motor.
This site has parts for sale.
I sent you a PM.

It's the coil pal for that cylinder found it online for $60 with shipping called a couple boat service companies and they said they can't touch that price.they checked the numbers and its what I need so I ordered it. The fuel lines,glad you told me to check! Doing a compression check Saturday.

Usually the coils don't go bad after the initial break-in.So make sure it's really bad.Change the position and see if it still doesn't work.
Right now I only have one.J

Have changed the gas lines,the primer bulb,gave it a compression test,130 psi each cylinder. But a coil pack for the cylinder not sparking, no luck. Help before its a coral reef!

You change the coils around?All connections tight?You do the tests on outboardignition.com ?Change the packs around if it changes pistons then the packs bad.
I sent you a PM.

Last edited:
The blue is an older model.Black newer.
REally NO difference other than age.
Look on e-bay or this site may sell them.
I sent you a PM.

Ok thanks for the help glad I checked everything. The coil not the problem. Powerpack is junk. Forum has helped a lot,found other potential problems looking for the right one.thanks for the help now time to fish.

Back