Logo

Merc. 5.7L Needs Engine Coupler - how hard to do?

89sea65ray

I've got a 1988 Sea Ray with an 5.7L (350) with an Alpha 1 sterndrive that I the marina told me I needed a engine coupler. They are telling me it could take 10 to 20 hrs to do cause you have to pull the engine. Another guy I talked to said it was only a 4 to 5 hr job still by pulling the engine. The marina wants to charge me approx. $1400 parts and labor. The other guy said I could do it myself and get by with about $600 in parts. Oh, and the marina said I wouldn't have to replace u-joint bearing or gimbal bearing or any bellows, which the other guy said I'd be a fool not to replace them since I would have access to them. I'm pretty good with cars mechanically, but boats not to sure how much driffence there is. Is this something I could probably tackle myself or is it worth paying a marina to do to grauntee the job? Does anybody have any advice for me? Thanks, Steve.

need to pull the drive 10 minutes. if you don't stop to have too many beers.

You need to pull just the engine.

You need to remove the 5 screws and one thru bolt that holds the neg ground cable to the bell housing.

You need to remove the flywheel cover.

You need to remove all the cables and wires from the motor, noo need to unplug the main plug. Mark them wires good my friend.

Say 1 hours if your working alone i have done it with a friend half hour to remove all the wires and cables.

Now comes the fun part lifting the motor i had a 2x10 between 2 trees and backed the boat under about 8 foort the wood to the deck, and a 1/2 ton hoist.

You lift the motor and then bring it down to a pallet or crate ( stand ).

Now you can inspect paint the pan and the rest of the motor after you pull off the flywheel bolts. Put on the new coupler and reinstall the motor after painting and such.

You have to realign the motor. Need a alignment bar.

I would also redo all the rubber on the back inspect the gimbel bearing before installing the motor if you might want to change that out.

Total time from pulling and reinstalling the motor 4-5 hours if you don't fool around too much.

The marina is covering thier a$$ in case they run into a snag. Can't say I blame them. Have run into my share of re & re jobs that turned into nightmares one way or another. 4-5 hours? ya, providing ideal conditions, access is the biggest. If the guy who quoted 4-5 hours has actually looked at the application then fine, otherwise, I would not assume an easy/typical re & re without actually inspecting first.

thats for the motor i don't know if he has to take out all kinds of seats and stuff people have over the motor nowadays.

Once everything is setup it really doesn't take that long.

A typical V8 / V6 coupler replacement will take 5-8 hours depending on as WOODIE said a lot of "what you find along the way" issues.

A FOUR (4) cylinder will take a lot less..........IE: boats are smaller, shorter, shallower. getting in and around a 4 banger is a piece of cake compare to a deep V hull with a V8 in it...........

Try a late '80's to early 90's DONZI........it takes 2-3 hours just to dissassemble the interior to get at the engine compartment...........

Key is to take your time, take as many pictures of assemblies you pull apart that you may have a question on later.

The rear motor mounts have a specific component order and must be reassembled correctly.

Outdrive MUST come off!!!

Alignment MUST be done before outdrive goes back on!!!

Thanks guys, sounds pretty easy except for the lining up the motor. What & how do you do something like that? What is the line up tool? Should I also worry bout replaceing the unversial joint?

The advice about marking the wires and taking pics is also a great ideal. I've done that for car/truck motors and it really pays offs for us short memory timers, lol, or for those who take alot of beer breaks, lol.

Merc sells a specific tool that aligns the gimbal bearing to the coupler. or in other words the engine coupler to the gimbal bearing by way of adjusting the two forward motor mounts. Failure to do this will result in another coupler replacement!!!!! I posted a drawing a while back with demensions and others posted links to purchase one.......

Ujoint rarely fail at least in my experience. If they were exposed to excess water especially salt water than yes. If they have been regularly serviced (ANNUALLY) like they are supposed to be then they should be fine. I do mine every year whether I use the boat once or twenty times.........

Thanks kghost, I'll try to look one up. Do you align it up from the inside of the boat or do you put the tool thur the gimbal from the back? I'm trying to decide if I should let the marina put the motor back in after I've installed all the new parts.

Alignment is done from the gombal to the coupler from the back of the boat. Cant be done any other way......

they may not like that.....kinda like bringing your own steak to the resturaunt.....

If you can get the motor out and install the coupler, you should be able to do the reinstallation.....

Try researching You Tube for engine alignments and coupler replacement..

Does that mean I have to return the universal bearing shaft assembly to align the engine thur the gimbal or is it located some where else?

Back