Logo

Yamaha 150 4 stroke squeaks at idle

Doug Mixon

I have a Yamaha 150 4 stroke 2005, the last 2 time I have been out on the water and brought throttle back to idle it has a squeak, I pulled the upper cowling off while running but it doesn't seem to be coming from top of engine area, sounds more like lower unit. After boat sits for a while OFF I will restart and noise is gone while idling. I will advance throttle and relocate to new fishing area and then noise is back when I idle. Engine runs great, good high end rpm. any ideas

Idle, engine running out of gear, and even when I put in gear I think i can still hear squeaking noise ( sounds like fan belt squeak) more noticeable out of gear.

As I mentioned on the original post, when I remove the upper cowling it doesn't seem to be coming from top of engine, the squeak doesn't get louder when cowling is removed while the engine is running. And I didn't think the timing belt would squeak like a V belt. Any other ideas, I remember reading a post several years back about a bearing in the lower unit making noise, does this sound right?

The noise in question is likely the bearing in the drive shaft housing above the water pump. It is rubber and gets dry after a while. You can lube it with the MR2 grease which is recommended for your driveshaft splines when you service the water pump. The noise will not result it anything catastrophic that I have seen. It is mainly just annoying.

PBRMAN. OK tonight when I got home from work I dropped the lower unit and found the bearing just above the water pump dry, I lubed the seal/bearing, and splines re installed lower unit and hope to get the boat out this week for a test, I will let you know if this has resolved the squeak.

Back